Chapter Eighty Nine - Amnesia

amnesia
noun
1. a partial or total loss of memory

When I hobbled on crutches into the VIP hospital room that Eyva was recovering in the next day, I didn't really know what to think as I'd heard from Wallace that she'd lost her memory. Of everything. I was still so very angry with her for trying to run Jac-Jac and I over, because, lets face it. That is exactly what she had the stupid driver of the mustang try to do. I heard the idiot was in hospital himself after he crashed his car. He also claims that Eyva made him do it. I think Wallace threatened him with attempted man-slaughter if he decided not to change his plea.

There she was, sitting on her hospital bed, bandages wrapped around her pretty little head, golden blond hair spilling out of a messy ponytail on the top. She looked a mess, but didn't seem too upset about it. That was the first thing I noticed about her, that she seemed calm, even while she wasn't looking one hundred percent perfect. Something seemed so wrong about this whole picture and it didn't take me long to realise what this was. She had no make up on.

Wallace has already been in to see Eyva as she woke up yesterday. He had asked that only he be present for the first after-accident meet and greet. I think he had some words to say to her. Probably inform her about her parentage, but I'd heard that Eyva claimed she didn't remember anything, claiming she had full-on amnesia.

Hence, the family get together today.

Wallace introduced us all to the step sister on the hospital bed.

"Eyva, this is your step mother, Brooke, your little brother Jack and your younger step sister Lily Twice." Mum waved a little wave and Jac-Jac smiled at her. I don't think he understood what was going on and was more focused on the new animal shaped helium filled 'Get Well Soon' balloons that were floating on strings at the corner of her bed.

I watched as Eyva scrutinised each of us, memorising our faces and physical characteristics. This made me frown, because I didn't think Eyva's level of acting was this good. There was no obvious deception in her micro actions.

"Twice?" She asked for clarification when she realised I had a different last name to everyone else. A little frown creased between her perfect brows.

"Yes." Wallace replied. I moved to sit on the leather lounger at the side of the bed to rest my sore knee. Mum and Jac-Jac with his balloon animals followed suit. I think both Mum and I decided to let Wallace narrate our family introduction, or reintroduction really.

"Brooke and I have just married nearly three months ago, but we're childhood sweet hearts. We met up again about five years ago and had Jac-Jac, ah..." He looked like he didn't know how to explain how he and mum got together while mum was still living with my dad. It was a complex situation, that made sense to those who understood the family dynamics, but to outsiders it would look like mum had an elicit relationship outside of marriage, which in a way she did. But try explaining that to a daughter who has lost her memory without making himself a classless act green hat? Yeah, not happening.

"Lily's father has just passed away, shortly before we married, so in honour of his memory, she hasn't taken the Overmeyer name. I'm hoping she will one day soon." Wallace explained my last name.

"Oh, OK. Thank you for explaining." I saw Eyva wringing the blankets in her fists. I looked down, not wanting to see anything further

"Another thing, you're not my biological daughter, and we just found that out recently, during the surgery to patch you up after the car accident. Your blood type neither match your mother nor myself. But that doesn't change anything. You're still one of us, with the Overmeyer name on your birth certificate and identifications. That will not change, unless you want it to."

I looked at Wallace, as he sat beside Eyva on the hospital bed. We all waited for the shock and drama, Eyva blowing up, creating a major incident, but nothing. It never came. Like it didn't matter to her in the grand scheme of things, like it was just another piece of information on a long list of new pieces of information being introduced to her.

I watched Eyva rub her forehead and knew she needed some pain killers.

"I'll get the nurse. She's got a sore head." I got up, collected my crutches and went to go ask someone in the nurses station to bring her some medication. But more importantly, I wanted out of this room. Then my step sister spoke again, quietly but full of gratitude, something I've never heard her say before in my two lives.

"Thank you." I was just as shocked at this as her non-reaction on finding out she's not Wallace's real daughter, and probably will not inherit the Overmeyer Corporation. I couldn't help the complicated look that crossed my face as I looked back at her, then I walked out.

At the nurses station, I asked the head nurse for a dose of pain medication for my step sister, then I went back and collected a gift bag from the security guys at the door. I had previously asked one of Wallace's assistants to retrieve it from the car when I realised I'd lift it behind.

I arrived back in the room, following the male nurse who was on caring for Eyva today. They were discussing animals or something like this. Eyva thanked us again for bringing her pain medication and mum helped her lay back down in her hospital bed.

Mum organised to have Mrs H bring Lily a change of clothes then introduced our house keeper, her husband and Grant. When it was mentioned that he and I go to university, Eyva became interested in this piece of information.

"University?" She asked.

"Yes, I graduated high school early and are in my first semester at uni. I'm currently studying business and commerce, but I enjoy fine arts and design." I replied.

"Design? Like graphic design or computer design?" She asked, looking like she was genuinely interested.

"Yes, and more." I smile politely. Then I remembered the gift bag in my hands. It is a perfect example of what I'd been designing and creating lately. My token 'give the whole family gift sets of my newly designed lounge wear' suddenly became a 'first meeting gift'. I gave her the small gift bag, placing it on the bed between her and Wallace.

"I have designed a range of luxury sleep wear and lounge wear for the high end market. I've brought you a set. I hope you enjoy them." I smiled again, trying not to look too fake as I did so. When Eyva looked up at me, she looked stunned for a moment, another action I've never seen her do before.

She took the gift with both hands and gave a polite little bow while sitting on my hospital bed. The gift bag held a silky bedroom robe in a pale peach coloured silk fabric with cream and orange flowers, grey birds in gold gilded bird cages. It wasn't my best designs, so of course I gave this particular fabric print to Eyva.

"Thank you, Lily. I'm sure that anything you design and create will be amazing. I really appreciate your generosity." I couldn't believe she actually thanked me again. Normally anything given to her was accepted as normal expectations due to someone who felt deserved it, that it was the privilege of the masses to part take in giving gifts to one such as herself. Then she would ALWAYS judge the value of the person by the value of the gift. Nothing was as simple as giving in friendship and care with Eyva, it was all about expectations and buttering up that boarded on bribery. I wasn't the only one shocked at this new Eyva. And I hated it.

"She really has lost her memory hasn't she?" I quietly asked. "That just doesn't seem fair, does it?" I turned around and abruptly left the room.

Mum followed me out shortly after.