Chapter Eighty Two - Astounded

astounded
verb
1. shock or greatly surprise

"Mum, I'm going into the hospital! Can I take Wallace anything?" I call out as I pass her in Jac-Jac's room the next morning. I'm heading towards the breakfast sun room while on my crutches. I know that Wallace has his own teams of assistants and estate staff that would probably take him anything he desired, but I offering felt like the kind thing to do.

"I think he's all sorted. Would you make sure he eats something for breakfast? He's likely to be working on his laptop and will forget." Mum joins me in the sun room with Jack, helping him sit down at the table.

"Morning Big Sis. Wiwl you take flowers to Eyvwa for me pweese? I memba we took fwowers to you when you were sick."

"Yes, I can do that my little Angel."

"Fank you!" He gives me a smile then leans over towards me. I follow suit and he gives me a big sloppy kiss on the cheek.

"What about a big silver balloon with 'Get Well Soon!" writing on it. Would you like to give your Big Sis Eyva a balloon as well."

"Yup, yup!" He relies then smiles as he eats his breakfast.

I followed mum and Jac-Jac out the door to find Patricia at my black SUV waiting for me in the driveway. My assistant collects my school bag off me, then helps me up into the front seat, collecting my crutches and closing me in. Grant sprints from the staff entrance, waving good day to my mother and Jack as they drive on past him.

"Morning, Boss. Morning Ms Palmer." He jumps into the front seat.

"Morning Grant," said Patricia.

"Morning, you two. I know that I'm running a little late, but I'd like to pick up flowers, lunch for Wallace and take them all to the hospital, before we head off to Uni, please." University orientation for semester two started today at ten. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it on time, but as I understand it, there isn't an opening ceremony so it just wait in a line somewhere to register that I will be taking classes this semester.

"I heard about what happened last night. I see that you're on crutches again?" Patricia asked. Grant and I rehashed what happened with Eyva and the trip to the hospital last night, Grant giving little details that I neglected to share.

"That little sprinting episode has me off my knee for another week. Doctor's orders." I sigh.

"I'm just glad that you're all right Boss." Grant said and we all agreed with him.

We picked up a bouquet of purple and white roses in a large round white vase. It looked beautiful, but since Eyva was still in a coma, I wasn't sure if she'd have a chance to appreciate them before they withered and died. I also picked up a bunch of helium filled silver balloons with cartoon characters on them. These were for Jac-Jac, lets be honest here. I was certain that Mum or Wallace would bring him along to visit his sister in the hospital, so these were for his enjoyment more than anything else. I can't imagine at all that Eyva would appreciate them.

Patricia dropped Grant and I off at the hospital entrance, where I was able to hobble in with Grant's help. Patricia drove off to find a park. She then talked about have a bit to eat for her breakfast and would meet us back at the car in half an hour.

"It a pity that the KTV night didn't happen. I'm really sad we missed it." I spoke to Grant on our way up the lift to the VIP ward.

"Oh, I just bet you are. You're all like, 'Oh no, my life is ruined, I'll never be able to sing my little heart out, ever again!' But that's OK, Boss. We can book the KTV room for you any time." The mockery in the shit-eating grin on Grant's face was classic.

"Oh, but I really am sorry that we couldn't sing together last night." I nod my head. "I mean, how am I ever going to be able to video your crazy embarrassing moments if we can't see it happening in the flesh again?" I giggle at my friends annoyed face. I'd already shown him the footage form the night he got roofie at the banquet.

"No, not OK!" He mock growled, but I could see he wanted to laugh.

"I need to add to my collection you see." I continue as we step out of the lift.

"And the night of my birthday, I should have taken video footage of you putting those clowns in their places." I nodded.

We mock argue with each other until we near the ward room that Eyva was situated in. The door was slightly ajar and we could hear Wallace and Dr Styles speaking. I pulled Grant to a stop, not wanting to interrupt them talking, then I realised that we were listening to something we probably shouldn't have.

"If I hadn't test her blood prior to surgery as per hospital procedures, I may have given her the wrong blood type. It may have killed her too. But Wallace, I've been your family doctor since your Grandfather was in charge of things here. I know all of your family's medical history, including that of your first wife. She has the same blood type as yourself."

"You're saying that Eyva isn't my daughter?" Wallace asked quietly.

"She can't be, not with a different blood type. You need to know. We can have a DNA test carried out before she even wakes up. It will take two weeks for the results, but I am certain that Eyva doesn't share the same blood as you."

I look at Grant, my eyes wide in shock. Eyva isn't Wallace's flesh and blood? This is huge!

"All right, you two. Come in here. I know you heard this." Wallace called out to us.

"Eeep!" I straighten up, knowing we'd just been caught listening to something we shouldn't have.

"It was bound to come out sooner or later." Wallace opened the door to Eyva's ward room and helped me settle into a chair. "I'd like to keep this quiet for now, please."

"You knew?" I asked, shocked again that Wallace had guessed this shocking news already.

"Yes, I had an educated guess that Eyva wasn't my blood daughter, but that doesn't change anything. She's still mine and always will be." Wallace growled. I wave my hands up, warding off his aggression.

"Hey, no skin off my back. But are you gonna tell when she wakes up?" I asked and finally looked at the frail young lady lying in the hospital bed, all hooked up to wires and monitors. She looked awful with half her head wrapped in white gauze. She looked so different. Someone had dressed her in comfortable pyjamas and wrapped her in quality bedding.

"Yes I'll tell her. But she needs to heal first, then I'll let her know."

"OK, sure." Grant and I nod, agreeing to Wallace demands. Because, coming from me? She wouldn't believe a single word I'd say.