Chapter Four - Advance

advance
verb
1. move forwards in a purposeful way.
2. make or cause to make progress.
Noun
1. a forward movement.
2. a development or improvement.

I spent the better part of last night making a plan for the next few months. A lot of the conflict with Eyva Overmeyer and the trauma that she caused in my life was built on the foundation of what takes place in the next few months. She dictated our relationship and largely where I ended up fitting into the new family unit. It wasn't overly obvious at all to anyone, only that it was clear she didn't want me, the country bumpkin, in her family, her home, her school nor her social circle.

One thing that stands out to me is the need for cash flow which will largely influence my independence within the family unit and help me keep apart from Eyva. Thinking about that lead me to a number of ideas that I have, and believe it or not, winning the lottery in a few years time is one of those ideas. But I don't remember any lottery numbers until the major jackpot that will take place in two years. Those numbers everyone learned of back when it happened 'before'. I think I will aim for that to become my nest egg for a business venture that I need to engage in. What that business venture will be, at this stage I don't know.

What I do know is that if I can stop the tragic death of Jack and keep mum working at Gemini Reality, then there will be no board of directors development, nor a change in ownership. I shouldn't have to get involved in that business at all. I think by the time Jac-jac is old enough, the business will become his, even if he isn't my Dad's son. Dad's line died with him. His business is a family business, and the Overmeyer family will become that new family ownership, as long as Eyva has no part of it, I'll be happy.

Getting up and into the shower and dressed for school, I am down at the breakfast bar in time for freshly brewed cup of coffee. Black with a teaspoon of honey, oh so good. Liquid gold. Drink of the gods.

"Since when did you start drinking coffee? Morning, Baby." I turn to find mum arriving in the kitchen in her typical power suit. Today's dress suit is in powder blue and it makes her eyes look bluer that grey today.

"Looking good Mum." I take another sip.

"Answer the question, when did you start drinking coffee?" She pours herself a cup but has to set another shot brewing for her travel mug that she takes with her to work.

"I had a friend last term who took me to a few cafes in town and taught me all about it. She was really good at teaching me what each bean tastes like how to judge a good coffee and how to actually use a professional machine. Its a lot more complicated than you'd think." Toast into the toaster and I'm nearly done for my morning meal.

"Well, just don't have too much of it. It will stunt your growth." She taps me on the head, a clear reminder of just how short I currently am. And to be honest, at 17 years old, I'm not actually gonna get a whole lot taller.

"Mum, quit with the short jokes. That was Dad's thing." I smile at her to show her I'm not upset, then poke my tongue out at her with a cheeky face.

"Got any big plans this coming weekend?" I ask with a giggle as I swipe honey on my toast and begin eating. When she takes a long time to answer I realise she's trying to figure out what to say.

"Just spit it out Mum. I promise I will give my full support, unless you're doing anything naked, then leave me the heck out of it."

"You," she smacks my arm. "Actually, Wallace and I will be getting married this weekend. We'd like you to join us." She is wringing her hands and I can see how nervous she is.

"Will I get to be bridesmaid?" I asked excitedly. That isn't faked as last time 'before' they got married without me and it hurt so much to be excluded so much.

"We could use a hand in the bridesmaid department. Are you sure, Lily?" She asked, worried about me again. And yes, if it was me 'before', I'd be screaming at her by now, tears, snot and all. I nod my head and laugh at her nervous antics.

"How exciting, Mum. I so happy for you. You deserve this." I hug her, but then she pulls me away and searches my face, watching my eyes.

"You've changed." I can only nod. In more ways than you could ever know, is what I'm thinking.

"I think dad's death and funeral made me realise just exactly how short life is and that I don't want to waste it any more. I don't want to be that little girl any longer with teeny bob K-pop bands on my wall and stuff teddy bears on my bed, getting offended at every little perceived slight. I think its time for me to grow up a little. I need to start having a really good think about my future and stop playing around any more."

"Yes, I think so too. And I'm proud to hear you say that."

"Thanks mum. That means a lot coming from you." We separate and clean up our dishes, putting everything away.

"I do have one, no, two requests before this wedding, Mum." I watch her stiffen up and realise this would be where my old stupid mature self would make silly demands about shopping and hair and spending heaps of money. But that's not what I want this time.

"OK, what would you like, Baby?"

"Firstly, I'd like to meet Wallace and Jack before the wedding, please." She nods and smiles a little. "Secondly, I'd like to give you away, if you will."

She pulls me into a hug, trying to hide her insta tears again. Her voice is horse as she replies. "Of course, Lily. But I have a request as well. Dress shopping."

"Yay, I'd like that." I do a silly jump and clap my hands.

And that's how my second day of my rebirth began, me making demands and causing my mother to cry. Hahahaha. I laugh because that was pretty much what I was doing most the time 'before' when we moved to her new husband's place. Difference was back then I was a stuck up spoiled little pug nosed arse wipe. Right little troglodyte I was. So embarrassing.

A quick dash back to my bedroom for my school bag, phone, wallet and keys, and I was ready for school. I had to remember to go to the office for my class schedule as there was no way in hell that I was going to remember what it was over six years later. The kind ladies at the school office only harassed me a little with lectures on the virtues of punctuality and not losing my things, then I was ready for a brand new day at my boring old school.

To be honest, I spent the whole week saying hi and good bye to everyone, concluding with informing the school of my soon to be transfer and asked them to ready my transcripts for the grand event. I had a very few close friends at this old school, but did remember to say goodbye to Marc at the volleyball courts for the last time. I actually don't know what Marc got up to after he graduated from school, but I learned later on 'before' that his family moved to the coast to build the sports goods empire.

Good for them.