Chapter Thirty - Antecedent

antecedent
noun
1. a thing that existed before or logically precedes another
2. a person's ancestors or family and social background
3. the statement contained in the 'if' clause of a conditional proposition

Mum brings over the wheel chair and locks the wheels in place. I place my good foot on the ground then take her hands as she helps me swing around to then sit in the chair.

"Let's get that leg rest up in place, then I can gently lift up your sore leg for you."

"Thanks, mum. How's it going, my little cherub Angel?" Jack has on a superhero costume tonight, looking all serious with his hands on his hips.

"Not Angel. Flash!" He then swings a fist around in front of him then runs all around the large room going, "Vrrooooom vroooom."

"Oh, sorry Mr Flash. Couldn't see you when you moved so fast. How about a race to the dinner table?"

"OK, start, goooo!" and he's off. What a giggle.

Mum rolls me out of my room and down to the breakfast nook, the lovely white sun room with the arch windows.

"Do you normally have dinner up here?" I ask.

"No we don't, but for the sake of your healing knee, we decided to move the meal up here tonight. I can see how tired you are and I'm glad we made the decision."

"Is there no elevator in the mansion?" I was certain there was. I've used it many times 'before'.

"Yes there is and you can use it tomorrow when we go down for meals, but I think for tonight, up here is fine." She pushes me into the sun room where dinner is served on the little breakfast table. Each of our meals are served individually so there aren't any extra dishes on the table. This works perfectly well.

I yawn as mum rolls me into the seat space without a chair, then sits beside me. My sore leg is left hanging out from the table, so I'm kind of at an angle to the table. It is a bit awkward, especially if I want to chop up my own food.

"You look really tired, Lily. Have you not rested well today?" Wallace asks as he settles Jack into his high seat.

"Please excuse me. I'm sorry for my rudeness."

"You're OK, honey. Did you know the anaesthetic drugs they used during the surgery yesterday stay in your system for over five days?"

"So I have to be careful what I eat and drink?" I ask as mum nods affirmative.

"Evening Lily, I hope you are resting and healing well." I shiver at the sickly sweet voice that comes from my step sister. To cover it up I move my napkin over my lap and return the sugary smile.

"Thank you, Eyva. I was a bit busy catching up on missed school work today so I didn't rest too much, but I think I will sleep well tonight." She smiled then looked at her Dad to see if he is noticing her.

"You're still grounded," was his reply and her fake smile turned into a grump frown. That's the Eyva we all know and hate.

"Mum, did you manage to secure the contract you were working hard on last week? The Bluebell Racecourse, wasn't it?" My question about mum's work lead onto a discussion about what the adults have been busy with, their plans, notice of congratulations from business partners who couldn't been at the wedding reception, which lead onto a conversation about the gifts they'd received from their many well wishers. I had no idea how influential Mum and Wallace were.

I also found it interesting when many of them also asked about how their daughter slash step daughter was doing after her accident.

"You have a lot of people asking after your health. I was able to tell them that you had a successful surgery and that you're recuperating really well."

"Please pass on my thanks, mum."

"Will do."

"May I please be excused, Daddy? I have homework."

"Yes, say good night to your step mum and sister." I brief moment of antipathy crossed her face before she schooled herself into a pleasant look.

"Good night Brooke, good night Lily." All that was missing was the small curtsey and bob of the head.

We both fare welled Ayva as she left the room, then I sat there for a bit while Wallace and mum had a brief silent discussion with their eyes and lip reading. I cleared my throat and put down my cutlery having finished my meal.

"Thank you for dinner, Wallace and mum. It was lovely."

They both acknowledged my pleasantries, then I asked a question of Wallace.

"If, hypothetically, there was a national disaster that takes please in an area of the country outside of your influence, what would you do to secure a staging are nearby for relief supplies and or personnel?

"That's a tough question because natural disasters happen anywhere and everywhere. There is no planning and no specific locale that is the best place for staging from."

"Yes, but what if you knew where a disaster would take place, but had to keep food and water and equipment outside of the disaster zone. What if you knew when and where it was. That aside, my question is, would you rent warehouse space, or buy land and build. It is for disaster relief for a one time event." By the look on Wallace's face he believes my question is moot point due to the nature of the when and where.

"Just pretend you know the when and where, and humour me. Say, if I had a homework project that had to answer this question."

"Do you have a homework project to answer that question?"

"Nope I don't."

"If you knew, wouldn't you tell everyone to evacuate before hand?" That was a question from my mother.

"If people won't believe me... you, if people wont believe you but you still wanted to limit loss of life after the disaster took place, how would you go about having relief aide and supplies available for them straight away? And animal care personnel, because flooding would effect pets and farm animals as well." By this time I'm biting my thumb, wondering if this conversation exercise was stupid to bring to the table with such a powerful man.

"I think that you have a good heart, and it is a neat thought but not very practical."

"Sigh..." I look down at the hands folded gently in my lap. "I know, but I wanted to know if it would be best to buy land and build, rent existing warehouse space, or something else."

"For a limited time to cover disaster relief and animal care, rent existing warehouse space or farm shed outside the disaster zone. Saves money, time and insurances. But there is a lot to consider when setting up disaster relief funds, especially donations, product acquisitions, management and field work personnel. Its a huge project. But a worthy project I believe."

I look up at his face to see if he's for real or just humouring me. But he looks serious and interested in what I'm trying to think and do. I nod and smile.

"Yes, I think so too. Especially if we can save lives and animals too." I shrug a shoulder. "You never know. I might just get something right for the first time in my life."

"What are you talking about? You get many things right. Giving your blessings for our wedding, for one." Mum puts her two cents worth in. I smile and lean into her side hug.

"Thanks mum. I was just thinking about 'what if'. Nothing too serious." I try to brush it all off, now that I have the intelligent man's free advice.

"OK, then." Mum replies. I follow it with a yawn.

"I best be getting to bed, then. Night night Mr Flash. Night, Mum, Wallace." I refuse mum's help to roll me off to my room, giving them time to be alone together. As I roll down the hall was I spot Eyva coming out of her room, giving me a horrid scowl then leaving down the stairs.

I manage to get myself onto the loo and over to the sink to wash hands and face without too much effort. But trouble comes when I need help swinging my leg onto the bed. Its a bit of a struggle, but I manage it. Until I realise I'm on the bedding, not under it. I'm too tired to change it, and fall asleep like that on top of my bed.