Chapter Thirty Seven - Procurement

procurement
noun
1. the action of obtaining or procuring something

I spent the day completing everything on my list. It wasn't as easy as just going through the list and completing forms and paying fees. Nope. I had to find a lawyer because my company didn't have its own address, so I called mum and she put me in touch with the lawyer firm her company uses. Getting an appointment with them was difficult until I explained who I was and who my parents were, then I was put through to my mum's company lawyer straight away. We made an appointment for the next day, but until then, my new lawyer confirmed that I could use his office address for my company address.

He then asked me how old I was and when I told him I was 17 years, he asked me I was turning 18 and I told him, in a couple of months.

"Ah... Miss Twice, you are not of legal age to become a company director until you turn 18." This rocked me a bit. I hadn't thought there was an age limit on company start ups. I began to worry about how this might affect things. I may have to hold off on starting things until my next birthday, but I didn't like this idea at all.

"You will require your parent to become an official company director until you are 18 years old. Will this be a problem?" Mr Anderson was a no-nonsense kind of guy, and he'd had to be for a lawyer in business law.

"I am setting this company up for myself, without either of my parental units as signatories, financiers or beneficiaries. I will be financing this and will be the only one liable if it all goes to hell. Is there anyway that I can set this up without a legal guardian's help?" I used my most professional and sweet voice as I was sure if I asked nicely, Mr Anderson could become my company's co-director until I turned 18.

"There is. You will need to sign me or someone from my company as a power of attorney for the specific role of becoming a company director of legal age, until you are 18. Then we can cancel the power of attorney and you will be legal. We can discuss this tomorrow when I meet with you." That was a huge relief. I'd need to research what power of attorney was and what it meant, how much power that gave him and who else would affect, like my parents.

"Thank you, I'll see you before lunchtime tomorrow, Mr Anderson." We said our goodbyes and hung up.

"Sigh... That was a lot harder than I thought it would be." Another fresh coffee was placed before me and I thanked the maid who served it.

Next was setting up a business bank account online, which was easy. The bank I was with was geared towards the new computer literate generation and getting a business account and credit and debit cards were easy. I transferred the $20,000 from my father's inheritance into the new account, then another $300,000 from the compensation. I downloaded an accounting software that was web based and set up a new accounting system for the company, outlining the first two deposits then the expenses for the new company, including the accounting software purchase; domain name; website hosting; email hosting.

Then I registered my company name, registered my new limited liability company and applied for a tax number and a national business number, then finally I applied for a trade mark for 'Pyrus Projects' as my company name. But because the future ideas for my projects were based in different industries, I ended up paying four different trade mark application class fees and forking out another $400.

I was happy with the name 'Pyrus Projects'. Pyrus is Latin for pear, in which ancient Asian cultures attributed the pear as a symbol of immortality and longevity and grace and nobility. In many European cultures it symbolised fertility. I thought it was a great effigy of exactly my new life. 'Pyrus Projects' would incorporate all of the new business ideas that I will... shall we say 'appropriate' from my life experiences of my first timeline. These business ideas wont have been made yet in this new timeline, so technically I am not stealing anything from anyone.

I have no problem with that. I really, really don't. If I do not use every resources at my disposal for recreating, redesigning and redirecting this new reborn life of mine – and to also overcome the hellish life I lived 'before' – then I could never do justice to the miracle I'd been bestowed. It would be a dis-service if I didn't used my prior knowledge and experiences to create for myself a better, more fulfilling life this time around.

I managed to finish my work by the time dinner time came around. After dinner I ordered stationery and asked Grant to go to the store to collect the items for me. It was mainly a scanner printer, file cabinet that locked, a small safe for bolting to the floor in my wardrobe and a bit of general stationery. I didn't forget to order a new SIM card for my phone, which was one of those models that could take two SIM cards at once. Once ordered, I quickly added the expenses to my new accounting software and went off to dinner on the ground floor.

Tonight I began my new company.

Tomorrow I'd sign my company directorship away and get myself a post box. Busy, busy times.