Chapter Ten - Impartial

impartial
adjective
1. treating all rivals or disputants equally.

The ceremony went off without a hitch. It was just our new immediate family at the ceremony with both Eyva and I signing as witnesses to their wedding. I spent most of the ceremony holding Jac-jac in my arms to keep him entertained and giving him lots of cuddles.

Eyva was dressed in a sweetheart A-line ball dress in gold, looking like something Taylor Swift wore to the country music awards a few years ago. Somewhat dated, but still beautiful on her. However, she looked like she was competing with the bride in terms of beauty and fashion. Silly girl.

Both Wallace and his mini-me were in white suits with gold ties, Jack wearing the gold bow tie I gave him last night. They looked amazing, so gorgeous. Together with mum's gold dress, my white little number, all five of us looked like a photo shoot for fashion weekly.

The reception was held in the back yard of the new place we will move into in the coming week. The mansion is a Mediterranean style home with terracotta walls and exposed wooden beams, multiple fire places and a few living areas. I think there are three outdoor spaces, not including the back lawn where the reception is being held. Its a really beautiful home and I hated living in it the first time around.

This time around, with a few years added maturity and some pretty major life experiences under my belt, this place doesn't seem to bother me any more.

The wedding reception in the back yard didn't happen 'before'. I think the parental units felt too much pressure to hold a reception to celebration, especially when I wasn't involved at all. This time around, most of Wallace's and my mum's business associates are here, with a few extended family on the Overmeyer's side of the family. My father was an only child and outlived everyone in his family. My mother's siblings are scattered in the crowd here and there, but I can't be bother with them. Not a lot to offer a young lady on the cusp of adulthood.

Eyva's grandparents arrived after our little family, and my mother and I were all introduced to them. Eyva's mother divorced Wallace when Eyva was little and she – the mother – moved overseas to marry some rich tycoon in Europe somewhere. I don't think even Wallace knows where she is. Eyva's grandparents are not very nice people, but Wallace has learned to work around them for years now. They seem to have an understanding about his boundaries and his bottom line and keep themselves separated at all times.

Where as, Wallace's parents are still very much in the picture and visit the mansion quite often to look after Jac-jac. The first time around our relationship got off to a rocky start and went down hill fast, thanks to Eyva's ministrations. Fastest crash and burn in the history of history.

Speaking of Wallace's parent, being introduced to them this time around, here at the wedding reception felt like being debued into society before royalty. I. Kid. You. Not! They are sitting on outdoor lounge chairs set up especially for them under a pagoda that looks like it was built for the occasion. Servants stand behind them for their service and comfort, and elder ladies and gentlemen are seated around them, all enjoying drinks and hors d'oeuvres served off silver platters.

Wallace lead us all over to them and received congratulations from everyone along our pathway. Then we all stood in a group like one little happy family before Grandma and Grandad Overmeyer.

"Mum, Dad, I'd like to reintroduce you to Brooke as my new wife, and her daughter, Lily. This is Jack's older biological sister." I think the clarification of our blood relationship was for the social elite in the group, as I'm certain Mum and Wallace have already talked to his parents about who I am.

"Its really nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Overmeyer. My name is Lily Twice, and I thank you for permitting my mother and I into your family." I give them a smile and squeeze Jac-jac's hand.

"Well, you never told us she was so gorgeous, Brooke my dear. Look at her, she is beautiful." Mrs Overmeyer is a words of affirmation kind of lady. She loves people sucking up to her and gives as much as she gets. I laugh at her words, my little angle copying me as well, and thank her for her kind words.

"I hope you will take great care of my mother and I from now on."

Murmurs of my manners rumble through the crowd around us as Wallace leads my mum and I over to a couple of chairs near his parents.

Mrs and Mrs Overmeyer are old money, but Wallace didn't build his company with their old money. He started out on his own and built his empire from the ground up. He didn't receive an ounce of his father's money until he had made a name for himself, then his father gave him everything. I give kudos to the man, he knows how to business. And how to brain. And grow his cash crops like they are weeds. Worth probably close to ten billion dollars, he's the richest man in the whole city.

And his parents are worth a hundred times more than him.

I was holding Jac-jac's hand in mine until his Grandpa bent over and called him for a cuddle. The poor kid looked up at me and didn't know what to do with himself. His sweet little face scrunched up like he was puzzling through the hardest decision of his life. Cuddles with Grandpa or staying with his new big sister. Grandpa won out. Especially after I nudged him towards the old guy.

"Go to the old geezer, he needs loads more loving that I do at his age. Don't disappoint him." I give a quick wink at Mr Overmeyer at my cheeky comment and watch as he scares Jac-jac with his sudden roaring laugh. I wouldn't dare say something like that to his prim and proper wife, but I've lived long enough in this place 'before' to know Mr Overmeyer has a really relaxed sense of humour.

"Cheeky girl. I think we'll keep you," he grumbles.

"Oh, Lily. Watch your manners, young lady." My mother mock disciplines me while smiling as she is served drinks and nibbles from the nearby maid.

I sit down next to her and watch how Jac-jac's grandparents interact with the little guy. They seem to really love him and that makes me happy.