Chapter Forty Four - Tussle

tussle
noun
1. a vigorous struggle or scuffle, typically in order to obtain or achieve something

I spent the next half hour on the phone to Ms Palmers about the list of things that I needed done today. Safety deposit box, copies of all my formal and legal documents signed by a Justice of the Peace, car insurance, accounts etc. I'd almost finished outlining what needed to happen tomorrow with finally working on our new app project when one of the school kitchen staff arrived and started to tell me off. I ignored him a bit, pulled out of my wallet the $20 mum gave me and held it out to him. He stopped yabbering that I was in a no-student zone, promptly took my money and sat down and shut up.

Finished with my phone call I packed everything away and started on my English homework. While I was doing so, I pulled out a bag of strawberry chew lollies and handed a few over to the kitchen staff guy who was eating his meal.

"Thanks," he gruffly replied, proving that he was an easy buy. Means I could come and use this space again tomorrow.

Business studies class was a bit awkward as everyone was already in their own groups working on a group assignment looking at what entrepreneurialism meant in this day and age. As I made my way around the classroom to have a chat to the teacher about my own assignment, I heard a lot of them talking about slide shows about the history of small business enterprize in Mt Sommers City; others were discussing their design work for their project and other groups were arguing about petty little things.

"Ms Twice. As you can see, our class has begin some three months ago and if you have any scope for business whatsoever, you should be able to complete this project all on your own, yes?"

Oh, my word. So lets me just put the record straight. I've never met this woman before in both my lives. I'd remember if I'd seen her hawkish face, all sharp angles and pointed chin with beady little eyes. She is the business studies lecturer for the school and I have no idea what I did to make her hate me already. I quietly pull out my cellphone from my pocket and pretend to look up the group assignment for the class. What I'm really doing is hitting the big red button on my recording device.

"Ah, Ms Pointer. The assignment here clearly says that this is a group assignment, but you're demanding that I complete this by myself, alone? Have I done something to offend you in any way?" I decided to come straight to the point and I don't think she expected that.

"What do you mean?" she answered back.

"Have I given any indication that I would slack off in this class, or shown you any imprudent behaviour in the five minutes that I have joined your class?" I ask really politely using my faux sweet voice, high pitched to sound innocent.

"Hmmph. I know who you are and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. If you are to prove yourself at this school and your newly adopted family, you will do this assignment on your own and hand it in on time or you wont be getting and marks from me, as I wont be marking your papers."

"What does my mum or my new family have to do with this business studies class at Mt Sommers School, Ms Pointer? And I'm not adopted. My name is Ms Lily Twice. Always has been. I do not need to prove myself to anyone, least of all a high school teacher who is showing her prejudices against her band new student. Wouldn't you agree, Ms Pointer?" I then make an effort to look down at my phone and tilt it ever so slightly to show the stuck up woman my recording app that is currently active.

Her eyes go large and she tried to snatch it out of my hands.

"I think I have a very sore knee, Ms Pointer. I'll need to call my mother for this medical emergency. I'd better be off." I tuck my phone down my bra, settle in my crutches and hobble out of the classroom, but not before calling back over my shoulder: "I'll have the assignment to you when it is due, teacher. I'll be working in the library so as to study the required research material. I hope that you will not mark me down as absent if I'm not physically here in your lecture hall every day, Ma'am."

"I want an outline of your proposal for the assignment in one week from now. Then a draft copy a month before it is due. You slack on either of those then I'll mark you down as failed."

"Oh, where in the course assignment outline that you emailed me does it say that you require these additional reports, Ms Pointers? If you are making amendments to the course work, will you also be publishing this to the rest of the class and on the student intranet? I'd hate for everyone else to think you are giving me special treatment. That wouldn't be fair to the rest of the class. Now, don't you agree, Ms Pointer?" I pull out my phone and hold it towards her as she screws up her face seeing I'm still recording.

"Oh course," she spits out, grinding her teeth. Talk about professional.

"That's wonderful to hear," I reply as everyone else in the classroom groans at the extra homework they'd just received.

"I will call in on you next Monday, Ms Pointer. Good day to you."

I leave the business studies classroom smiling so widely that my cheeks are aching.