Chapter Fifty Seven - Phenomenon

phenomenon
noun
1. a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question
2. a remarkable person or thing
3. the object of a person's perception

Both Wallace and Mr Anderson were available at 4pm this afternoon. I sent a message to Dunsten's cellphone number, not via the messenger app that I usually contact him with. I felt it kept things separated and differentiated between personal and business.

[4pm at Overmeyer Tower on Line Avenue, sign in at reception. They will bring you up. Please bring your parents or a lawyer or someone who can support you through this. I hope we can sort this out.]

Then to his messenger account I sent another message. [I actually need you on my team, but my laptop was stolen by someone in my own family and I need to go through the proper channels to resolve the issues that could arise from this. Also, if I point the finger at Eyva, she may send gangsters after me to hurt me in a way that only a woman can be hurt. Don't stress, I still need you on my team. Please be brave.] I sent this message, then wondered if I'd said too much. Oh well.

After arranging the appointment with my step dad and lawyer and sending these messages to Dunsten, I skipped the beginning of my math class and headed to the school office.

"How can I help you, dear?" The office lady was different from the other day. This lady was older, with lovely wavy blond hair. She pulled her reading glasses off her face and put them on the top of her head. Beaded ties hung from them to behind the back of her head.

"Hi, I'd like to report a theft. My computer was stolen at my home residence and ended up here at school where it was broken into. I don't know where it is, but I don't want to be accused of plagiarism when assignments that I've worked on end up being handed in with someone else's name on them."

"Oh, dear. Yes, sure we can get that reported for you. Do you know who stole it, please?" I shook my head. I didn't want to publicly accuse my step sister of taking my things when there are rumours going around that I'm the one who has been stealing from the most powerful estate in the city.

"OK, this form is for you to fill in. If you have any problems, or if it is handed in, I will get in touch with you, OK?" This office lady said 'OK' quite a lot.

"Yes, thank you. I appreciate it, very much." I smile and take the form and make my report. Once its complete, I hand it back and ask for a note for my late arrival to class.

"Sure, I can do that, deary." She signs a pink slip, stamps it then hands it over to me. I thank her and wave her good bye.

My math teacher accepts the pink slip from me when I arrive late, then waves me to my seat, continuing his teaching session.

The afternoon moves slowly, frustratingly slow. I worry about the files on my computer being nosed around in, the timeline stuff, my business material and project plans. Goddess, my whole Antiques and Arts App is on that thing. Frack. I need to stop thinking about it all. Then I get a message that gives me the greatest peace of mind since the say I was reborn.

[I got into your computer via remote server, don't ask how, and I cleared up everything on your computer. The drive is blank since of the end of lunch time. I'm not sure what she would have copied before then, but it is all gone now.] I place my head on my desk and breathe deeply for a good eight or nine minutes, until the teacher calls my name.

"Miss Twice, are we boring you in here today? Can you please pay attention by answering the question on the board?" I looked up with a jolt and aplogise then call out the answer he was asking for.

"Good, well at least you're progressing. Please keep your nap times for when you are at home, OK?"

"Yes, sir." I mumble fake smile. Laughter titters around the classroom, causing Mr Chapman to glare at those around the classroom who are laughing at me.

"Alright, where were we? Ah, yes..."

The class dragged on, so did art history and painting. It was a boring day, apart from the theft.

Patricia picked me up after school. Grant wasn't with her today, probably working at the estate with his dad cleaning the pools or mowing the lawns. Before she started the SUV, she handed over the new laptop that was in a shiny new rhinestone encrusted silver soft case.

"A bit bling for my tastes, but I like the colour." She was smiling, one side of her mouth lifted up in a lopsided smirk that made her scar stand out. I ignored the scar and saw that she was really happy at having pranked me.

"I think I'll keep this. Its the first gift you've ever given me. I'll treasure it, always."

"How do you know it is a gift? She asked dryly.

"Because you wouldn't buy shit on the company expense account." I smirked back at her.

"True."

"So, let's have a look at this bad baby."

I opened and booted up the small laptop. Everything was already loaded, all the apps I liked, the programmes I usually used, even the desk top was similar to how I usually had it. The screen backdrop was a picture of two chihuahuas wearing tutus with silver and pink party streamers around them. It was cute and not cute at the same time. I looked at her and gave her a blank look.

"I didn't know you liked chihuahuas," I commented.

"Oh, chihuahuas? I thought they were rats." She looked away, trying to hide her smile.

"Rats, they are not!" I mock scream at her, slapping her arm.

"I'm driving here, please refrain from assaulting the driver. An accident may result."

"They are cute. I think I'll keep these as well, until I can get Grant to find me something cuter for my background. Actually, it might make me sick if I stare at it for too long."

"OK." She replied. I couldn't help giggling.

"Neat, gift, thank you. You treat me so well."