Chapter 16

"He's dead."

That's what I expected to hear from Jordan when he called me.

My mind was filled with racing thoughts as I rushed through the hospital doors with Kara right at my heels, frantically looking around for Jordan. There was an empty pit in my stomach and I felt like I would pass out at any minute.

After searching for a few minutes, we finally found him. He had dried up blood all over his clothes, the sight of it making me fall to my knees He rushed over to us, helping Kara pick me back up and sit me down.

"Is he okay? Please tell me he's okay." I cried, holding Jordan's hand tightly in mine.

"I don't know, Nia, they just took him in for surgery. He got shot in the chest, they don't know if he's gonna make it."

His voice faded out as my back fell onto the seat and took my mind elsewhere. This morning, when he woke me up with kisses on my neck and his warm body was pressed against mine. We were okay, not perfect but okay.

This is my fault. It's like I'm the cause of everyone around me dying. If Callum didn't call me, he would've been paying attention to what was happening around him and probably wouldn't have gotten shot.

I brought my knees to my chest and rested my forehead on them, waiting for anyone to come out and tell us if he was okay. Or if he was dead.

We sat there all night, waiting and waiting with no news. I watched as some people left with smiles on their faces and others with sad looks. Some looked relieved and some stressed. Every emotion you could imagine was plastered on one of these people's faces.

I tried focusing on the happy ones, envying their reactions to the news they were getting and wishing we were here for one of those reasons instead. But we weren't and that's why when the nurse came through the door and walked over to Jordan, I hopped out of my seat as quickly as I could, almost tripping over my own feet.

By now the sun was coming back up, flashing into my tired eyes and giving me a headache while I tried to focus on what the lady was saying.

"Right now he is still in surgery, in critical condition." She explained, "I don't know how much longer it will be, could be a couple of hours or the whole day. Hang in there."

She looked over at my tired face with pity, giving me a nod before walking away.

"I'm gonna go get us some breakfast," Kara said, kissing Jordan's cheek before hugging me then walking away.

I sat back down in my seat with Jordan beside me and decided to use Callum's advice in this situation.

"I'm going to be home by two in the afternoon tomorrow, that's just twenty-six hours away."

"I just need you to calm down for me and keep yourself busy. Can you do that for me?"

"Okay, good girl. If you can do that, I'll get you a present from over here, okay?"

His words made me tighten my arms around my knees and close my eyes. I'd rather relive all of that stress than be in the position we're in right now.

Just keep yourself busy, Nia.

So I did, getting lost in my thoughts. Reliving some memories from my childhood, the happy ones anyway. Then I thought of Alex, my baby boy. His smile, his beautiful hair, his big eyes, his laugh, his cry. Then his silence. The accident. Quickly, I pushed it to the back of my thoughts, not wanting to cry about that right now.

I thought about all of the times Callum made me laugh, the nights we watched movies together. When he'd watch Disney movies with me and not complain even though he wasn't the biggest fan of them.