Epilogue

Years later...

"And finally, how're you coping with what's happened? What's your outlook on everything now that it's over, you've moved on and it's all over?" My therapist asked me in a gentle tone.

I looked behind her where a photo of my family and I sat from a couple of months ago, "I understand now, why I put myself in those situations where I allowed people who seemed stronger than me to step all over me. They manipulated and controlled me to their liking and I let them."

She nodded in understanding as I continued, "and I think the reason I allowed it was because I believed that I deserved the pain after what happened to my son. I didn't realize it, at the time, but I craved the pain they inflicted and the things I inflicted on myself as well."

I began tearing up at the thought of what occurred in my life so long ago now, "but I know now that what happened was beyond my control. I couldn't stop what happened to my son or anything after that. Even though it hurt me, and continues to hurt me, I wouldn't trade it for the world."

She smiled, "that's amazing, Nia."

I wiped my cheeks and smiled as well, "Now, I'm just taking care of and protecting my family until I can see my son again."

"And when will that be?" She tested.

I laughed, "not for a pretty long time, don't worry."

"Good," she chuckled and closed the notebook in her lap, "you've improved a lot since then, Nia. You should be extremely proud of what you've built even after going through what you did."

"Thank you," I stood up and gave her my hand to shake, "I couldn't have done it without you."

"Oh, don't worry, you did the most of it," she teased. I smiled as she packed up her stuff, "we'll see each other again one month from now."

She left the room and I sighed, starting to clean up the coffee and pastries on the table that Mary had made when loud, quick little footsteps filled my ears, bringing a smile to my face.

"Mom!" Imani's voice shouted throughout the halls, "Mommy, Sage and I wanna watch a movie!" She ran through the doorway, holding her little sisters hand as Miles trotted in gleefully behind them.

I sat down on the couch, outstretching my hands for them to run into. I kissed their cheeks, "did you have lunch?"

Imani nodded and Sage copied her hair, the black curls on top of her head, shaking as she did, "Mary made us sandwiches." Imani answered.

"Yeah, Mary made us sandwiches," Sage repeated, unable to say the word sandwiches right. I laughed, lifting them both onto the couch and grabbing a blanket for us to cuddle into.

"Mama?" Sage murmured a little while later. I hummed, looking down at her as she stared up at me with her big blue eyes that she got from her father, "does Simba ever go back?"

I nodded, "yes, he does. Don't worry," I assured her while brushing my hand over Imani's arm as she slept on my lap. Miles laid his head on Sages, licking her hand.

The sound of footsteps came from behind me. They were quiet, as quiet as they could be but I could still hear him. The second he'd enter a room, I'd sense his presence. How has he not realized that by now?

His hand wrapped around my throat and pushed my chin up to look at him as he brought his lips down on mine, gently brushing his thumb across my neck.

"Hey, baby," he murmured, making Sage look up and smile.

"Dada," she put up her arms for him to pick her up and he did, kissing her softly on her cheek before hugging her tightly.

"How was work?" I asked him as Imani shifted in my lap. I gently tapped her cheek, "Mani, look who's home."

Her eyes fluttered open then beamed at Callum who looked down at her with a smile, "Muffin." She grinned at him and he squished her cheeks together playfully.

"Work was good," he said, "how was your day, my precious babies?"

"Mary made us sandwiches," Sage bragged. Callum laughed at the way she said it, kissed her cheek then set her back down beside me.

"What are we watching tonight, hm?" he placed his hand back on my throat and brushed my hair back. I closed my eyes, in complete bliss from the feeling of his fingers on my skin.

"Lion King first," Imani stated as he pulled his jacket off and walked around the couch, "then Tangled and then mom said we can go get ice cream."

"Oh, did she?" He feigned shock as he sat down, "that's a first. Mommy's usually pretty strict."

"Mm, with you maybe," I hinted, looking at the TV, "but if you want to keep up the attitude, that's perfectly fine with me."

He cleared his throat, "whatever mommy says, goes."

"Damn straight," I muttered, looking at him. He smiled at me, raising his arm up to my face and caressed my cheek.

"Daddy knows who's in charge, doesn't he girls?" I asked the kids and they giggled, agreeing with me.

"Trust me, baby, he does now," he said, playing with the wedding ring on my finger.

We spent the rest of the night together as a family, ending it off with a drive to get some ice cream.

On our way back, Callum decided to drive into the city to show our girls the lights.

"Look at that sign, it's so pretty," She pointed. I looked out my window where a neon purple and pink sign sat and a smile appeared on my lips as I looked at Callum.

Lust Till Dawn.

"Can we go there?" Sage asked and we laughed.

"It's not a place for kids, sweetheart," Callum told her.

"People get taken from there pretty often," I told them, a smug look on my face as I stared at a blushing Callum.

"Taken where?" Imani pushed.

"We'll tell you when you're older," He said.

I laughed to myself, looking out the window when I felt his hand on top of mine, whispering, "I didn't do that bad, did I?"

"I mean, if this is what being Taken Captive is like, you didn't do bad at all, baby."