Chapter 55

As I sped through the highway, I couldn't help but let my thoughts wander, unable to fathom that Nia had a physical altercation with someone who wasn't trying to kill her first. A nurse? What did the woman do for Nia to hit her? Unless the nurse hit first?

I don't know. What I do know is whatever happened, I'm finding some way to defend Nia. She's the kindest person I've met, she wouldn't hurt anybody without good reason. And I think that because first off, she's my girlfriend, I don't think I have much of a choice unless I wanna be single. Second, she's Nia. A random person on the street could probably look at her and think she was a complete angel.

My angel.

My angel who's probably freaking the fuck out. Right after parking the car, I rushed into the facility. I was pleased to see my men searching the area, making sure the perimeter was safe and had their eyes alert for anything suspicious.

I hadn't forgotten about these people after her, they could attack at any moment and we had to be more than prepared.

When I entered the visiting room I had been in a week prior, I was shocked to see the same nurse that was creeping around that day sitting on a chair, holding a tissue up to her bloody nose. All of the other nurses surrounded her, their boss, the man I threatened, standing near them with a nervous look on his face while he tried calming the angry-looking nurse down.

Then my eyes drifted over to the other side where Nia sat. Her knee was bouncing up and down, her fingers fiddled together nervously and her torso shook with each heavy breath she let out. She was sitting there with a tear-stained face, looking over at the stupid staff as they comforted the bloody-nosed bitch.

Nia looked absolutely horrified, shaking and cutting each breath off with another. She could barely breathe, she was on the verge of a horrible-looking panic attack from keeping in her cries. And every single person working had the audacity to comfort a nurse who just looked angry over their patient who was obviously put in distress.

My theory was proven right. Nia didn't hit the bitch for no reason, there's no way.

But I couldn't stand around trying to put the pieces together. Instead, I took large strides over to her, she looked over at me, her face falling in relief as she finally left out a sob. Her arms immediately reached out for me as I leaned down and pulled her up into my arms.

Her limbs automatically wrapped around me, holding on for dear life. I could feel how hard her heart was pounding in her chest while her body shook. She kept her mouth on my shoulder, trying to make her cries quiet while tears soaked the fabric of my shirt.

The staff had nervous looks on each of their faces when I turned to them, anger filling every inch of my body as I caressed Nia's back, trying to calm her down.

"What the hell happened?" I seethe, turning my gaze towards the boss.

He clears his throat, "Why don't we have Ms. Seymour escorted back to her room so we can have a civilized conversation?"

The second the words left his mouth, Nia stiffened, fisted my shirt in her shaking hands and shook her head against me, "Please, I don't feel comfortable."

I tightened my hold on her and shook my head, "No, I'm not leaving her alone with your idiotic staff. Tell me what happened, now!" I demanded.

He sighed and looked over to the ugly nurse before turning back to me and explaining. "Ms. Seymour refused to take her medication tonight. Her nurse went inside her room with the pill ready and Nia refused. When she tried to give it to her again, Nia punched her."

I nodded, "Give me a minute."

Then I took Nia back to the other side of the room and sat her down on the chair, making sure she wasn't facing them in case they tried to make her lie.