Chapter 39

The next morning, I woke up with Callum's head still on my chest like how it was when we went to bed. His body was no longer shaking, tears were no longer falling down his face and onto my chest. But he still didn't feel good, his body felt frail, exhausted and not as strong and full as it usually was. It's like it was giving out on him, making him slowly decay even though he was in better shape than anyone I knew.

Physically, not mentally.

I kissed his cheek and told Miles to get in bed beside him when I got up. He did so happily, cuddling right up against his daddy as I grabbed a Plan-B from my bedside table drawer and swallowed it, chasing it with some water.

Glancing at the man whose arm was draped across Miles one last time, I let out a sigh before leaving the room to make him some breakfast. It was my turn to take care of him, not the other way around. All he needs for now is love and care, I was going to make sure he got that and revelled in it for as long as possible before whoever was coming after him ruined it all.

"Morning, honey." Mary greeted. I walked over and kissed her cheek when she leaned in. She reciprocated it with a kiss on my head before letting me grab a few of the stuff she already made and placing it all on a tray for Callum to eat in bed. I decided to get Miles's food as well so they could just eat together.

"Thank you!" I smiled at her, she smiled back and I left, heading back over to our room. When I opened the door, Callum was awake, hunched over with his head resting against Miles's as a lone tear fell down his face, Miles licked it off for him. I ignored the sting in my eyes and cleared my throat.

"Good morning." I smiled.

He smiled back but I knew it was fake. "Good morning, baby."

"I brought both of you guys breakfast. Eat up, we've got a fun day ahead of us." I raised my eyebrows, trying to excite him.

When he let out a chuckle which was obviously forced, I knew I needed to stop. No matter what, he was going to force a smile on his face to make me feel comfortable. Again, he was going to put his feelings aside for mine, like always.

My bottom lip quivered, I bit down on it and kept the smile on my face, setting the tray on his lap. Miles sat, staring at his bowl of food that I placed on the ground and told him he could eat. Callum patted the empty spot beside him, wanting me to sit down so I did.

"What do you have planned today?" He asked, lifting his piece of toast to give me a bite. I shook my head, he urged it into my mouth but I made sure to take a small bite. The smile on his face after I took it made it worth it.

"First, we're going to go train for a bit." I started, actually wanting to train since I hadn't while Axel was here, "Then we're going to go to a couple more places, but it's a surprise so I can't tell you yet. The only thing you get to know is that you'll be entering the world of teenage Nia Seymour for the night." I smirked.

He nodded, "Can Jordan and Kara come too?"

I nodded, "Yep, they're coming, don't worry. Jordan will be with us the whole time."

His muscles became less tense as I assured him of the fact that his best friend would be with us. "Why don't you go take a quick shower while I pack us a change of clothes for tonight?" He nodded, getting up and with what looked like a huge amount of effort, stood up and walked over to the bathroom.

"Honey, we've gotta leave you at home today, okay? The place we're going to isn't very dog friendly, but I promise we'll go train tomorrow and won't stop until we pass out, how's that sound?" I talked to Miles as I picked out a change of clothes for Callum and me after training.