STO: 14

"I wonder if the boss is already asleep?" Yibo mumbled to himself as he sat up. He's been twisting and turning on his bed, he can't sleep a wink. The thought of Xiao Zhan being unable to sleep is making him worry.

~

"What? I thought you'll pat me to sleep?" Xiao Zhan asked and raised an eyebrow at him.

Yibo jolted and immediately stood on the bed and sat beside Xiao Zhan.

When Xiao Zhan was comfortably laid on the bed, Yibo started brushing his fingers on Xiao Zhan's hair. Xiao Zhan immediately felt the comfort, his eyes went droopy, and not long after he drifted to sleep.

Yibo smiled at the sight, Xiao Zhan was already peacefully sleeping. "Huh, he looks more angel-like when he's asleep," he muttered. He traced a look at Xiao Zhan's sleeping face, from his eyelids to his nose and down to his lips, then something caught his attention, 'his mole really stands out, it's making him more beautiful,' he thought.

After making sure Xiao Zhan is already asleep, he left his room and went back to his own room.

~

He sighed as he ruffled his hair frustration, he immediately stood from the bed.

"I'll just check if he's already asleep," he said to himself and head out of his room. When he arrived in front of Xiao Zhan's room, his suspicion was right, the light is leaking from the small gaps of the door indicating that Xiao Zhan is still awake.

"Boss?" he called as he knocks on the door softly.

"Hm, yes?" Xiao Zhan answered.

"Are you not sleepy yet?" he asked politely.

"I guess," he answered from the inside, he stood from his seat and opened the door for him. Then he left it open for Yibo to enter as he walked back to his seat.

Yibo went inside the room then closed the door behind him.

"Are you not feeling well?" Yibo asked as he went near the desk.

"Not really," he uttered and closed his eyes.

Then a picture caught Yibo's attention, it was the photo Xiao Zhan was looking at when he first saw him awake in the middle of the night.

"Uhh" Yibo wanted to ask about the picture but then he's cautious, Xiao Zhan might snap if he suddenly asks.

Xiao Zhan noticed that Yibo is fidgety, he looked at him and tilted his head, "You want to ask something?" he uttered.

Yibo jolted, "Ah-- oh..." he lowered his head.

"Just ask," Xiao Zhan said as he waited for him to talk.

"...Uhm, About the photo..." he paused, Xiao Zhan looked at the photo laid on his desk.

"Hm? what about it?" he responded.

"Is that your parents?" Yibo asked as he lowers his head.

"Yeah, their death anniversary will be in two months so I'm kind of busy with preparations for their commemoration," he answered, he rests his back on his swivel chair and stared at the ceiling. 'Maybe it's the reason he can't sleep early,' Yibo thought.

The room felt silent, Yibo doesn't know what to say, he lowered his head as he finds something to talk about.

"You sleepy?" Xiao Zhan suddenly asked without turning his head to him, cutting off the silence.

"H-huh?... Oh not yet," Yibo answered as he scratches his nape, 'will he get angry if I say I'll wait for him to sleep before I go?' he thought.

"Hm, okay," Xiao Zhan muttered and nodded, "by the way, thank you for that night, I slept quite well," he uttered.

Yibo's heart suddenly thumped, his cheeks flushed red, he didn't really expect a thank you from him.

"T-that's n-nothing..." he hid his blushing face. 'Now that I see it, he's not the mafia boss I generally expected, he's quite soft but a bit scary sometimes with his death glares,' he said in his head.

"Well, since my parent's death anniversary is coming up, I can't sleep well," Xiao Zhan sighed. "I still think that their death was not an accident but a murder," he added, "My father is the mafia boss after all."

Yibo felt the sadness in Xiao Zhan's tone, the bereavement he is feeling for his parents. Yibo looked up to Xiao Zhan to see what face is he making. His eyes are speaking many words of sorrow that he can't vocalize.

"Boss?" Yibo suddenly called out, he somewhat wants to comfort Xiao Zhan in what he is feeling right now.

"Hm?" Xiao Zhan turns his attention to him.

"Should I pat you again to sleep?" He suggested with a smile, though, he knew his smile doesn't help much to Xiao Zhan.

"Okay," Xiao Zhan simply answered and stood from his seat. He went to his bed and laid comfortably.

Yibo followed and sat beside him on the bed, he rest his back on the headboard of the bed as he started caressing his hair.

Xiao Zhan's eyes closed when he immediately felt the comfort and warmth from Yibo's hands. "Mom..." he mumbled before drifted into a deep sleep.

Yibo smiled when he saw again the angel face of Xiao Zhan, he caresses his hair and pushes away the hair that's covering his face. Now he can see his face clearly, "The boss is really lowering his guard down around me," he mumbled.

As he watches Xiao Zhan in his sleep, he suddenly felt his lids slowly getting heavy. He yawned, "Sleepy..." he mumbled, and before he can realize it, his eyes droop close to sleep.

.

"Mom! Dad! Don't leave me alone.. sob-"

Yibo was awakened by a sobbing noise, he slowly opened his eyes only to see Xiao Zhan asleep with tears falling from his eyes, he's sobbing.

Yibo stared at him for a second as he wipes the tears that are falling from his eyes with his thumb. "He must be putting his tough front to everyone because he doesn't want anyone to pity him, the tough job as the boss was given to him unexpectedly too. And now he does not have the leisure to show his weakness. But I think he wants to be spoiled too," he mumbled.

His chest suddenly tightened, 'his beautiful eyes don't suit swelling eyes,' he said to himself and caress his cheeks.

"Mom... Dad..." Xiao Zhan mumbled again from his sleep.

Yibo sighed as he closed his eyes tight, then opened and stare at him with his gentle gaze, "I think, I'm falling," he said to himself. He laid beside Xiao Zhan and hugged him, "Shh, it will be alright," he whispered in his ear and hugged him in his arms, then rub his back gently to comfort him.

--