Sic Semper Tyrannis (The Syndicate)

(A/N: me binging hush by kroh and mizz fish be like: this oneshot)

Niki takes a sip of her wine. The king has a fondness for merlot, and so that is what she is drinking. It is red, which is amusing to her, in a way; it's almost like a warning for what's about to come.

All around her, the masquerade is in full swing. All the nobility of the land are dancing, socialising, having fun. Politics are all around, of course, though it is discussed and done in far more subtle ways. Ignoring the plight of the commoners and the peasants, too.

Niki has always detested this part of her life. How could they be so selfish, partying around and pretending like nothing's wrong when there are people starving on the streets, and while the servants are being whipped for even doing something minutely wrong?

It's cruel. At times like these, Niki is reminded of why she had joined the Syndicate.

To the side, she can see Ranboo standing with a tray in his hand, patiently waiting in case a noble to grab the sugar tarts from the tray. His black and white mask is slightly different from the other servants' own masks, but it has the same style as them, and nobody really pays attention to servants.

They lock eyes, and Niki offers a smile, sipping more of the wine. She takes a minute step to the left, and Ranboo nods slightly, in understanding.

"May I have this dance?"

Looking up, she smiles at Techno's disguise. The Blood Knight is unknown enough for him to be able to freely stride in with his suit without garnering suspicion, and compared to some of the more outlandish hair colours and styles that fill this hall, a simple pink ponytail isn't all that attention-attracting. She places her wine glass on the table behind her.

"You may," Niki bows, as is courtesy for a masquerade like this, and so does Techno. Then, she holds out her hand, and lets him lead her onto the dance floor.

They sidestep the other couples of the dance floor, slowly making their way towards where Ranboo is standing. They make light conversation, as is expected of them. Although, their words are laced with secret codes and messages, and Niki laughs at a 'joke' Techno has told her, with his head tilted slightly upwards and to the side.

She glances up, and meets the eyes of Phil, perching in the shadows of the ceiling beams. If she squints enough, she can see his crows, surrounding him and helping him blend in with the shadows further. She knows a bow is strapped to his back, with more than a few arrows in a quiver.

Techno leaves her, making an excuse about a 'break', and Niki finds herself reluctantly talking with some of the other noble ladies as Techno talks to Ranboo. She is careful to not glance at Phil, and focuses on giving her opinion on the newest popular hairstyle: a weird and frankly unappealing mix of pigtails and space buns, except the pigtails are on different levels, and long ribbons decorate it.

Soon, Techno comes back, and whisks her away once more. Niki thinks the other noble ladies she had been talking to find his stoicism 'attractive', and tells him as so.

He makes a grimace evident even through the mask, and when Niki laughs this time, it's not faked.

Eventually, though, the time comes. The king looks a little restless, and the crowd is starting to disperse. Soon enough, the king will make a speech, and that is when they will strike.

Niki just can't wait.

"On my mark, we will attack," Techno dips his head down, murmuring into her ear, and Niki pretends to giggle, as if he had said something particularly amusing for a noble lady like her. They finish their dance, and step back from each other.

"You flatter me, sir," she responds, nodding. The dagger strapped to her thigh feels ever the more noticeable in this time.

The king claps his hands, and the hall goes silent. She and Techno move to the corner of the room, close enough to see the king's expression clearly, but far enough that they'll have time to escape if things go wrong. The king starts his speech, and Niki tenses up.

Niki glances up, and sees Phil's bow drawn, string taut as he aims for the king. It's now or never.

The light from the chandelier shines on the arrow. Niki turns her head, and watches the king with keen eyes as the arrow flies.

And hits its target.