[R] What We Could've Had (Techno & Tommy)

(A/N: request as a pic. link is https://archiveofourown.org/works/28681869/chapters/70317927 for anyone who wants to see it themselves! uhhh i didn't include all of it (mainly bc i genuinely couldn't bring myself to write it but here have the earlier parts! in techno's pov!)

Technoblade first heard of the name TommyInnit when he was 20.

He had been returning after a year of travelling with his family. Unlike Phil and Wilbur, who both decided to return home to meet Tubbo again, he had decided to turn a different way, and head to Hypixel. Maybe get in a few Bedwars and Skywars games here and there, keep his reputation as the Blood God up.

He entered one of the bars, hidden behind a disguise, and was intent on collecting information about potential enemies when a conversation happening at a table nearby caught his attention.

"Did you hear? TommyInnit reached his streak of 400 wins today!"

"Hah! I knew he'd hit it quickly! Pay up, lads!"

"I really shouldn't have doubted him, the kid's a tank. Absolute madlad, I say!"

"A madlad, sure, but a goddamn good one! Why, at any rate, he'd be overtaking even the Blood God soon; he's already beat Dream several times!"

Technoblade's interest was piqued. Not only because apparently there was someone who had beaten Dream, and held a remarkably impressive streak of 400 wins, but because the name sounded... familiar, for some reason. Like he'd heard of him before.

So, after asking around, he found out that this TommyInnit was holding public duels with whoever wanted to challenge him, and well, he wasn't about to turn down a chance to investigate and analyse his potential enemy's movements and fighting styles.

When he reached the public duel arena, he spotted two people fighting below. One was not worth his notice.

The other, on his other hand...

"And the winner of this match is TommyInnit!"

TommyInnit raised his head, lifted his sword to the sky, and beamed.

His breath caught.

That blond hair, those blue eyes, that smile...

...it was Tommy. It was his brother, Tommy.

Technoblade hadn't seen him in... a long time.

(He didn't even remember when he had started to forget him.)

The wings on his back was a new thing. They were white, with grey streaks at the bottom. Completely the opposite of Phil's, of their father's.

(Perhaps that was for the best.)

There were other new things as well. The longer sleeves. The confident positioning, and the ease he had when he swung his sword. His quick steps as he dodged his opponent's attacks. The smile, bright and true and real, so unlike the one he'd have when they were younger.

Tommy wasn't the Tommy he knew anymore. He was TommyInnit now. He'd made a name for himself outside of their family.

Technoblade wasn't ignorant. He knew he had ignored Tommy after their mother died, because he'd reminded him too much of their late mother, because-

(-if he hadn't been born, perhaps Mother's health wouldn't have declined so quickly-)

-everything about him just reminded Technoblade of what he'd lost.

He knew he didn't exactly have the right to even talk to Tommy familiarly, or call him 'brother'. And yet...

He continued watching. He continued... well, stalking wasn't the right word. He continued spying.

He saw him with Dream, the way he acted like an older brother to Tommy.

He saw how GeorgeNotFound treated him much like an exasperated parent would treat their mischievous child.

He saw how Sapnap and Tommy acted like mischievous teenagers early in the morning, no matter where they were, or who was with them.

He saw how close Ranboo — a new Bedwars player that everyone called the 'Walmart version' of him — and Tommy were.

He'd watched as they helped Tommy preen his wings, after Tommy said that he loved them.

Technoblade wasn't ignorant. Even he knew, no matter how much he tried to deny it, that the feeling bubbling in his chest was envy. Jealousy, even.

He was a smart man. He knew that he should've left them alone a long time ago. Left bygones be bygones. The chances of making up had slipped through his fingers, after all, and there was no way he and Tommy would be able to act as brothers now, after all these years.

But still...

(Once, it was Tommy with them. Once, it was Tommy with Technoblade and Phil and Wilbur and Tubbo. Once, Tommy was with him and the others, and not them.)

He'd wait. He'd wait and watch, and see what would happen.

(Technoblade was a patient man, after all. He could be patient, wait until the perfect time to get Tommy back.)