[R] Begonias (Niki & Tommy)

(A/N: Issilver1: Can you make a fic of Tommy and Niki being siblings irl
all of this is /p!! also weird flower shop type where there's individual stalks of flowers being sold and that's what tommy's buying so yeah)

"Do you have any idea what sort of flowers you'd want to buy?" Niki asked Tommy, who, as if only realising that fact, shook his head slowly, a faint blush on his face.

They were at a rather high end flower shop, about half an hour away from their house. Tommy, for some unexplainable reason, had gotten it into his head that he wanted — no, needed — to buy all of his friends — every single one of them, or at least the ones that he would be able to send the flowers to without them wilting — flowers.

And what sort of older sister would Niki be if she didn't help out with her younger brother's endeavours?

Well, that, and she was sort of curious as to what Tommy would pick out for his friends. And she wanted to tease him.

"Well they don't have to be based off their symbolism," Niki pointed out, before Tommy could get any ideas into his head that they needed to find the best and most specific flower meaning for all of his friends. Niki thought of herself as a kind, patient person, but even someone like her would find the idea of spending hours in a flower shop a little... tiring. Also, she had promised some of her friends that she would be playing a new game with them today. "It'd be better if you just based them off... your heart, or something like that."

Tommy squinted up at her. "That's weird."

"You're weird," Niki responded automatically, and Tommy huffed. Then, apparently spotting a flower that he liked, he made a beeline to one of the pots, inspecting what seemed to be a daisy flower.

Niki sighed — a sigh that sounded fonder than she'd have liked it to be — and grabbed a basket, before moving to follow Tommy. Her brother insisted on holding the basket himself, but Niki refused; her phone was almost out of battery, because she hadn't charged it properly — she'd need to replace her charger — and she needed something to do instead of simply standing around.

For all that they had grown up together, and for all that Niki had been privy to some of her brother's deepest and darkest secrets, she still couldn't understand what was going through his mind as she followed him through the shop.

Tommy seemed like he was simply picking flowers at random, but the concentrated, occasionally frustrated expression on his face said otherwise. By the time it was almost closing time, though, the basket was filled with a vast assortment of various different flowers, some cheap, some expensive.

Niki glanced at the flowers in the basket as Tommy was hovering around a few different flowers. She could identify three different colours of roses in there, along with flowers like a lily of the valley, a chrysanthemum, a bellflower, a glory flower, an iris, a lilac, a gardenia, a hyacinth, and many more.

The only reasons she knew what most of these flowers were called was because she had developed an interest in flowers about five or six years ago. That, and she could read the labels of them when Tommy picked them out and placed it in the basket.

"Here."

A begonia, freshly cut, was held in front of her. Niki blinked, a little in shock, mainly because Tommy had been inspecting the flowers for so long. Tommy stared at her, as he insistently held out the begonia.

"For me?"

"Obviously," Tommy rolled his eyes. "Who else?"

"Awwww," she cooed, accepting the begonia and tucking it into the basket, resting next to the red tulip. "Thank you."

Tommy shrugged, before quickly snatching the basket from her arm and walking away. Niki was still able to see the way his eyes sparkled in delight, though, which made her giggle a little.

"I'm sure they'll love them," Niki told him, after they'd paid for the flowers — which did cost a hefty price, even for streamers like them — and walked out of the store, with Tommy clutching a recyclable bag with all the stalks of flowers tightly.

"They better," Tommy muttered as he got into the front seat of the car, with Niki sitting at the driver's seat. Niki laughed at that comment.

The sun was already setting as she started up the car. Niki started humming a light tune, and eventually, as the minutes went by, their silent ride evolved into a full-blown singalong in the car.

Maybe the trip wasn't as boring as she thought it'd be, after all.