Chapter 2

10 years later..

The school bell rang and it all became crowdy due to students rushing to get home.

A skinny girl walked on the pavements, dragging her feet and huffing moodily. The strands of her red hair, that somehow escaped her hood, shining in the sunlight. Her face not visible due to her hood covering it.

15 years old, Ava was lost in her own thoughts as she made her way home. She couldn't wait to be in the secrecy of her room.

Finally, after some time, the big mansion came into view. It was huge and beautiful but it had always been unfamiliar and unwelcoming for her, except her room.

She went inside and stood in the lobby looking around if her parents were home. And yes, they were. She looked into the kitchen where both of them were having lunch and talking to each other.

They just kept talking while she stood in the doorway. She knew they had already noticed her there, but they kept on ignoring her. Just as they've always done. She just sighed and left to go to her room.

As she reached her big room having an attached walk-in closet and en-suite bathroom, she went straight to her closet. She stood before the mirror staring at herself.

Her hands went to her hair as she tugged at them and the red hair wig fell out, revealing the beautiful brown hair underneath.

She just stared at her reflection, looking back at her.

Her parents could afford almost everything. They bought everything she needed, not that she ever asked them to. They gave her many material things but they didn't give her attention and love, ever.

The only attention she got was when they were drunk or in the mood to tell her just how much of a disappointment and a burden she is.

Ava winston, daughter of Chris and Maria winston, the class topper, the winner in almost everything she participates in. The one who knows just how to do chores around the house and be a perfect woman, was a disappointment and burden.

That's what she was taught. To be perfect. She was always taught to be a woman. To know how to cook, how to be perfect, take care of others and how to clean. Her parents made her learn everything in a young age.

She was always compelled to wear dresses and girly stuff. She was told her body was a property, an asset. It should be perfect. The main reason why she was starved- fat is not beautiful.

For a perfect woman, she needed to be skinny and short and multi-talented.
That's what her parents taught her and expected from her.

She heard the slamming of a door and the sound of car tyres on the stone pavements.
She sighed and sat down to complete her homework before her parents return.

After some hours of doing her homework and getting a short nap, she was woken up by the screeching of brakes then slamming of doors. She was called down for dinner.

Ava's POV.

Oh no!

"Come down." My mother yelled again.

I sighed and got up. I slowly made my way downstairs mentally preparing myself for whatever they had to say or do.

I reached the living room quicker than I expected. Slowly opening the door, I saw them sitting on the couch inside. I shuffled inside, taking in their drunk appearances.

"Umm... Yes?" I asked.

In an instant, I was on the ground, clutching my stomach and trying to gain my breath.