Chapter 14

Damon watched as Amelia just pushed her food around in her plate.

"Why aren't you eating your food?" Damon asked her, as she shifted under his stern gaze.

"I'm not hungry." She said, still not meeting his gaze.

"I heard you were eating full meals?" Damon asked, raising an eyebrow.

The Costello brothers were watching the exchange between her and Damon with curiosity while Ash just watched with amusement, having nostalgic feelings remembering when Damon got to know about her little self not eating anything.

"She's a good liar." Mason muttered.

"Watch her open up like a book before Damon." Ashton snickered as Lorenzo looked at him wanting him to explain further.

He wouldn't lie and say he wasn't jealous. He was. It was hurting him to know she sees a 'big bro' in someone else.

But that someone is his best friend, that helps.

"But how could she lie to our faces but be so easy around him?" Roman asked.

Lorenzo wanted to ask the same question but didn't want to make it obvious that he was jealous. Bless Roman.

"I don't know. She's been like that forever. Once she trusts someone and loves them, she just opens up and doesn't lie or fool you. As she told me, it feels like she's betraying her family. Yeah that's what she said, I think." Ashton said staring at the ceiling lost in memories.

"It took us ten months to reach that point where she can trust us, to get her to open up. She always looked expressionless before that."

"Ten months??" Roman asked, clearly shocked.

A pang of hurt hit Lorenzo as he remembered how she acted all the time she was with them. But she just met them, he couldn't blame her.

Even if it took ten years, he will make sure she was safe and loved.

"I threw up afterwards." Amelia mumbled as she fiddled with her fingers in her lap.

All of the brothers looked shocked and stared at her sadly. Ashton was looking genuinely sad about that. She tends to stop eating and shut herself off when she's depressed.

"Come here." Damon's voice rang through the room as Amelia shuffled over to him. He opened his arms and engulfed her in a tight hug.

"I thought we were over that." He mumbled.

"I'm sorry." She replied as her eyes watered again.

She didn't want to get depressed or something but she can't help it. It was all just overwhelming, thinking you live with your biological family your whole life, trying to be perfect to get a little appreciation from them, doing everything, giving your hundred percent but still hearing how much of a burden and disappointment you are, knowing no one likes you then finding out they are not even related to you.

Finding out your real family abandoned you, made it much worse. If her real family didn't want her, why would anyone else?

She hated her biological parents for that. That's why she wanted to move away from anything that was associated with them.

After all this, how could she not be depressed and shut off everything?

"You don't need to be sorry. We got over that phase before, we'll get over it again." Damon soothed as he heard little sniffles from her.

The Costello brothers watched enviously. She looked so vulnerable after meeting Damon.

She was. She didn't care who watched her crying, she just wanted to let everything out.