Chapter 57

I rushed inside, only to find Roman, standing beside her bed, with Amelia backed away into a corner.

"What's happening?" I asked, trying to hide the panic.

"Thank God, you're here. She's having a nightmare. She was struggling and flailing her arms around when I came to tuck her in." Roman said, with a sad look on his face. He looked ready to cry. He was panicking about to pull his hair out.

"She got up suddenly and backed away into the corner, yelling." He said.

"How can I help her? She probably doesn't want to be touched. Maybe she wants us to leave." I said, panic hidden beneath my words.

"Its not like that, Lorenzo. She's having a nightmare. Seeing a memory, probably. She needs you." Roman said, patting my shoulder, encouraging me to go on. More like ushering.

I stared at him for a moment, still doubting myself.

I looked at Amelia, trying to back away more, trembling and whimpering.

I took a deep breath and took cautious steps towards her. She was in the corner while I walked to stand near the corner of her bed. I crouched there, maintaining distance.

"NO. DON'T COME CLOSE TO ME. STAY AWAY FROM ME." She yelled, hiding her face in her arms and started sobbing.

"Hey, Angel. Its me, Teddy." I said, softly. She didn't look up and kept sobbing.

"Open your eyes and look at me, baby." I said, softly. She lifted her head a little and peeked through her arms.

"Teddy?" She said, in a small voice.

Definitely a memory. She's acting like she's five.

"Yes, Angel. Come here." I opened my arms.

"NO." She yelled. "YOU LEFT ME THERE, TEDDY."

"I'm sorry, baby. Teddy will make it up to you. I'm so sorry." I said. My heart hurt at this. I wasn't able to find her then. But now, I'll even go through hell to save her.

"Come here." I said, again. My arms still open wide.

She hesitated, still shaking and trying hard to breath properly.

"Come to Teddy." I said, just as I did when she was little. Whenever she was sad, she used to hide under her bed and I'd go say 'Come to Teddy' and she'd quickly come out. It always worked back then.

She hesitated, looking at me through big, teary eyes, before slowly crawling over to me. Its been so long since I had her in my arms. I wrapped her in a hug as she cried into my chest, curled into a ball in my lap, clutching my shirt tightly in her fists.

"Ssh. There's no one here. No one's going to hurt you. I'm never letting you go again." I said, kissing her forehead.

"Don't leave me there again, teddy." She whispered.
She clung onto me, not wanting to let go. I didn't want to let go either.

"Goodnight to you both." Roman whispered, kissing her forehead and mine. I looked at him in disgust.

"Don't look at me like that, Teddy." He laughed, quietly. I glared at him dangerously. He's taking advantage of me not being able to move. He just shook his head and walked out.

I kept muttering sweet nothings in her ear, stroking her hair and hugging her tightly. She'd flinch now and then, due to whatever she was seeing, whatever events were repeating in her head.

Soon, I heard sniffs and her breathing slowed down, finally calm. I got up slowly, laying her down on the bed. She didn't let go of my shirt.

"Don't leave me." She whispered, sleepily.