Chapter 54

"Where were you? I was looking for you." Mason said, as he found me roaming in the hallways.

"In the hospital room." I said. He smiled at me.

"You were talking to her?" He asked. I nodded.

"I thought she'll be alone. So I just ramble about everything." I said.

I don't know what it is. Maybe I feel the mother daughter bond. I want to tell her everything. I want to gossip with her about my classmates and their relationships.

"That's good. Maybe she'll wake up soon, listening to your voice." He said, his eyes filled with hope.

"Yeah. Hopefully." I said, giving him a smile.

"Let me tuck you in, little baby." He booped my nose.

"Ugh. I'm not a baby, Mason." I whined, hugging his arm and walking by his side to my room.

"Don't stress out about anything, okay? You don't have to call them Mom and Dad just now. They won't mind." He said.

"I still feel bad. I mean, who calls their father, Mr. Costello?" I said.

"Well, Jace used to. Whenever he fought with him, he'd be like, 'I'm going to leave and then come back after some years, when I'll be a rich businessman, then you won't be able to scold me, Mr. Costello'." He said, making his voice small and kid-like at the end, mimicking Jace.

I laughed.
"What did he reply to that?" I asked.

"Dad would say, 'We'll be business partners then, Mr. Costello'." Mason chuckled at the thought. I laughed.

I'm happy they had a happy childhood.

We entered my room. He adjusted the duvet and tucked me in. He kissed my forehead and stroked my hair, until I was sleepy, before walking out.

I was just about to sleep when my phone rang.

"Yes?" I asked, slightly irritated by whoever stopped me from sleeping.

"Hey, baby. Missed me?" I heard him say.

"Yeah." I mumbled. "You?"

"Of course, I did." Ashton said, quickly.
I was already having butterflies.

"How's Italy?" He asked.

"It's great here. I was so stressed out about meeting my parents. But they're nice. I still can't call them mom and dad, though. I just can't get myself to do it." I mumbled, sitting up a little.

"That's ok. They'll understand. They're nice people. We've lived with them for a long time. Me and Damon." He said. "You don't need to worry about what you call them, they know what happened. They know you lost trust in these titles the day you found out the truth."

"Yeah. I'm still ashamed of not knowing they were alive and blaming them for something they never did."

"Don't worry about it. You were emotionally worked up at that time and unwilling to trust. Its not your fault." He said, sweetly.

Did I mention I love him? Its just so refreshing to talk to him.

"I love you, Ashton." I muttered before I could even comprehend what I said.

The line went silent. Ashton didn't speak for a whole minute, neither did I.

I think I shouldn't have said it.

"I love you too." He said.

"Why'd it take you so long?" I gritted.

"Chill. A guy needs to get over a shock." He said, dramatically. "I'm lucky this badass girl loves me."