Chapter 68

Meanwhile in Italy.

Third POV.

Elena clutched her phone tightly in her hand. She was angry. Its been a long time since she have felt this way.

Francesco entered the kitchen, typing on his phone. He entered the kitchen and seeing the look on his wife's face, he wanted to run back to their room.

"Tell me, dear husband, what are you hiding from me?" Elena asked. Phone clutched in one hand and her knife, with which she was working, in the other.

And for the first time in years, Francesco saw the assassin he once fell in love with.

"What are you talking about, honey?" He asked, moving forward, trying to calm her down.

She stalked towards him dangerously, so he was pinned against the counter.

"Tell me, Francesco. Why am I getting a phone call from my daughter saying, you promised Russo, that you will marry your eldest son to his daughter?" She asked, the fire in her eyes, blazing angrily.

"And this "deal" happened years ago, when they were kids?" She clenched her jaw.

Francesco stood there, shocked. She was gonna know someday. He was gonna tell her, when Lorenzo was ready for marriage.

"Fucking say something, Mr. Costello." She gritted, grabbing the collar of his shirt, harshly. "You used your position as the Capo to decide your son's future? You sold your own son? Or should I say, buy someone's daughter?"

"What would you have done, if your Dad decided who you loved? And what would you have done, if you still fell in love with this assassin?"

Elena kept accusing him.

"I said, fucking say something, Francesco. Or I am leaving to live with my kids and fucking destroy whatever arrangements you made with Russo." Elena spat in his face, pulling him down with the collar of his shirt.

"I'm-I'm sorry, honey. I'm really sorry. It just happened in the rush of the moment. Remember, we were attacked when Lorenzo was seven. Russo almost lost his life that day, saving us. He was afraid. He wanted to serve us, but he was worried for his daughter. He was worried if he died someday, his daughter will be an orphan."

"His wife died during childbirth. All of his family, turned their back to him, after he joined us. There was no one for taking care of his child. He was worried, no one will marry her or she would marry the wrong person. Every father is. But he's a little too conservative and all he was worried for, was her marriage. He asked for one thing, in return of his loyalty." He said, all in one breath.

"I had to pay him for his loyalty to the family. He asked me to marry her into the Costello Family, secure her life as the Queen."

Elena was shocked, to say the least. Her hands still clutched his shirt, as she looked up at him with her big teary eyes.

"For god's sake, Francesco. You could've accepted her as your daughter. You could've accepted to be her father, if Russo died. Alice is a sweet girl. You could've just taken her responsibility." Elena said, punching his chest, continuously, as tears flowed down her cheeks.

"I told you, it was a promise made in the heat of the moment. You were injured, Elena. The kids were in danger. I was too overwhelmed to think straight." He said, wiping her tears away.

"But my son loves someone else." She said, almost yelling and punching him again. Like a little kid throwing a tantrum.

"He fell in love with someone else and I won't be able to see him losing her." She sounded broken, her voice cracked.