Chapter 19

He laid down on the grass. I laid beside him. He looked deep in thought, like he was having a conflict with himself.

"I didn't have parents, ever. I was an orphan. But I had a family before. I had." He said softly as he stared into the sky which was growing dark by the minute.

"My sister. My twin. Diana. She was my family. We were together against the world. With no parents, we always lived in an orphanage."

"We were separated. She was sent to live with her new foster parents. I tried to go with her. But what could a nine year old kid do? We were separated forcefully." He said as I saw his eyes become glossy.

"You don't have to continue, if you don't want to."

"Don't say that, I'm finally letting it off my chest." He shushed me.

"I lived without her for three years. When I was twelve, I finally met her. She had returned to the orphanage due to the death of her foster parent. I insisted she went with me, my foster parent agreed too. I was so happy, I kept hugging her for so long."

"But someone out there didn't like my happiness." He said as a tear slipped his eye and rolled down his cheek.

"We were living so peacefully and happily. She used to work at her foster parent's best friend's bakery. She'd just help pack and bake and they would give her money. She didn't want to be a burden to John, my foster father." He sniffed.

"One night, she was out, working overtime. I had talked to her that night on phone. I was worried about her and was about to go get her. She said she was on her way and will be back soon. But she never came back." He stopped, hesitating a bit. his expressions said, it would hurt to say whatever he was gonna say. He took deep breaths and swallowed the lump in his throat.

"They killed her. I didn't even get to see her for the last time."

"I never found who killed her and why they did it. I don't have anything related to her. A year later, after her death, my foster father kicked me out and burnt all my stuff, including her pictures, her stuffies, her clothes, everything. The reason was he saw me making out with a guy. He kicked me out for that." He kept spilling tears.

"I miss her so much. I just have this picture with me. It was sent to me the day they killed her." He pulled out his wallet and showed me the picture. It was a beautiful girl, laying on the ground.It was taken at night time, it seemed. Looking closely, I noticed the slit on her throat and the red on her dress was blood.

I gasped. That is so cruel. Daniel started crying uncontrollably. I pulled him up in a sitting position and hugged him close. He buried his head into my shoulder and cried.

"I miss her so much, Avy. I want to hug her again. I so desperately want to have her in my arms again. They killed her. They took her away from me. They took my happiness away." He sobbed as he hugged me tighter. I kept running my hand through his hair as he kept crying.

"She loves you so much, Daniel. She'd be so happy to know how you're doing so well. She'd want you to live for her too. She'd want you to live the life you both wanted to live." I whispered. After a long time of crying, he started calming down a bit.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have cried. I need to man up." He stuttered.

"Shut up. You're letting it out like a normal person. Whoever told you to not cry, just because you are a man, is just disgustingly inhuman." I said sharply as his grip on me tightened.

He cried for a long time, my back started hurting but I sat in the position as he kept muttering incoherent words.

"We should go. We've been talking for so long. Its 9.20 already." He said as he pulled away and stood up.