Chapter 11

"Mom do you think we will ever get a bigger house? Like a mansion?" Maleeka asked, swallowing her dinner.

Freezing midair, you slowly placed your fork back down. "A bigger house? Don't you like the house we live in?" You questioned.

"I do, but it would be nice to live in a palace!" She replied, unaware of how incompetent it made you feel as her provider.

"That will be nice. I didn't think we needed a mansion though, but maybe one day I'll have enough money to get a mansion for you."

"What made you think about this?" Your enquired, not really wanting to eat anymore.

"O-oh nothing. I just see a lot of places in this area have mansions." She answered with a somewhat gloomy shadow casted over her eyes. Depicting disappointment.

With morbid silence filling up the room so suddenly, you sighed lightly, losing your upright posture.

"I'm trying Maleeka.." You whispered with hurt woven into your voice.

All you ever wanted to do was create a life where she would be happy and have everything she wanted. However hearing her compare and long for what others have, knocked you straight in the gut. You felt like you were failing her somehow. You were starting to become successful, but it is difficult to create that lavish lifestyle by yourself with a monthly salary. Surgeon or not. You did understand that naturally as a kid, she will want things others have. But, it still hurt, and you were under the impression that what you were providing, wasn't enough for her.

Not entirely getting a response from her, you cleared your throat and forced your warm smile. Desperately needing to change the topic. "Want to go out tomorrow after school? You and me, what you say?" You affectionately asked, stroking her red locks.

Taking another bite, Maleeka nervously held your gaze. "U-uh, I was actually going to go to my friends house again after school. But I d-don't mind cancelling." She lied.

Feeling just a slight disappointed pang in your heart, you shook your head in disagreement. "No, no, don't cancel. I'm glad you made friends already. However, I would like to eventually meet the mother of your friend at least, just so I know what type of people you hanging out with. You are still very young after all missy. " You protectively replied.

Trying to not look suspicious, Maleeka nodded innocently. '' Okay mum, one of the days you can."

With the day aging and a new arising, Maleeka begged Hisoka to take her to the park. However both of them froze. Maleeka in fear, Hisoka out of awe. There you were, seated partially far away from them, staring at the lake that was covered in cherry blossom petals.

"Oh man! I didn't know she'll be here, I'm sorry!" Maleeka covered her face nervously, however the Joker didn't reply. Standing there, he gazed at how gently your hair blew in the light wind. How badly his instinct wanted to force him to take a seat next to you on that ever so lonely bench. Is this how it's going to be now? Was this karma? For him to long for you, just like you longed for him back in high school.

A few pigeons flocked near your feet as you fed them crackers.

How morbid this entire situation was. Being in a park, a family is supposed to be together. Not separated and afraid to approach each other.

Before Hisoka's thoughts could fall any deeper at the sight of you, his daughter's voice mused him out of his head. "Do you want to talk to her?" She asked.

Standing there in silence for the longest of minutes watching the wind blow through your hair. Hisoka's mesmerised world transitioned drastically into an angry hell filled rage with annoyance and jealous.