Chapter 49

With the hours passing, Maleeka and Killua stopped by several times before leaving the hospital for good to Orihime's place. They were kids with short attention span's after all.

Sebastian and Grimmjow kept a Hisoka company in the mean time since they had time on their hands. And to be fair, they still feel bad for shunning Hisoka after the whole Hidan incident. Well not that Sebastian did that. He was merely just a good friend waiting with Hisoka.

"How is she?"

Hearing the voice of the man he's been waiting to see almost the whole day, Hisoka immediately opened his eyes and stood up.

"Illumi." The Joker stilly whispered. Standing in front of each other as if it were a stand off between the two males.

Blinking blankly, Illumi curiously arched his head partially to the side. Pensive about the peculiar countenance present on Hisoka's face.

Slowly inching nearer, Hisoka acted out even more uncharacteristically by snaking his arms around Illumi's back - hugging him ever so dearly.

Standing there uncomfortably frozen by such gestures of his leader, Illumi looked over Hisoka's shoulder to Sebastian that was observing the interaction. Unsure of how to respond.

"..Thank you for saving her Illumi." He heard Hisoka lowly say.

Although the action was odd, Illumi understood a bit better as to why Hisoka was acting this way. He was merely appreciative.

Deciding to go with the motions, Illumi elevated his one hand and stiffly placed it on Hisoka's shoulder blade. Half hugging him back as acknowledgment of his words.

"I owe her for looking after my brother. Besides, it's good to have favours I can collect from the both of you." Illumi insensitively spoke about the past, but no offence was taken. Everyone knew this is how Illumi spoke and thought.

Huffing amusingly, Hisoka pulled away from the stoic man, "Well, regardless of the reason. Thank you. I do owe you big time." He said, wondering if Illumi's actions had any hidden meaning.

Hisoka wasn't oblivious to Illumi's professional crush on you in high school. He remembers the diamond arm band worth 330k he got you for your birthday. His request to marry you. Wanting you desperately to be a Zoldyck. Go as far as wait for you.

He couldn't understand why now, but it was those thoughts that suddenly arose at the back of his mind when he thought about Illumi getting a liver for you.

Him being married to a woman of his family's choice meant nothing to him. And everyone knew that. And he remembers his friend confessing to you that he would kill his wife if it meant he could be with you any day. That kind of declaration wouldn't die off so easily over the years.

Halting his tedious thoughts, Hisoka closed his eyes to stop his imagination from running like wild fire. He was over thinking. Maybe Illumi genuinely did get you liver because he wanted to help Hisoka out. Nothing more. The Joker should be grateful because he was the reason you are still alive right now. Ask no questions, hear no lies right?

Before Hisoka could discuss the matters Illumi had to deal with to obtain the liver, the theatre light turned red. Finally. After 10 hours that seemed like 10 days was finally over.

Fully facing the door, Hisoka waited for the surgeons and nurses to appear.

"Mr Morow." She greeted with an extreme tired undertone. Undoing her surgery attire.

"Surgery was difficult. But Y/n pulled through. It was a success." She cut right to the chase.

Relaxing his obviously noticeable tensed body, Hisoka ran his finger through his hair in sheer relief and disbelief that the worst is finally over.

"Can I see her?" Was all he had on his mind right now.

"U-uh. I don't th-" She nervously trailed off. Obviously, medically speaking the answer is no. But she knew who Hisoka was. Everyone did. And everyone knew to never say no to Hisoka unless you have a death wish.

"S-sure. Just a warning though. She does have a lot of tubes in her, so it might be overwhelming. But I promise she's okay." She caved in.

Not wasting a second on this conversation, Hisoka swiftly walked passed the surgeon. Dauntingly making his way to the operating room.

And damn was she right. The several tubes and drips you were on really did make it seem you were on the verge of death. But inching closer to you, you did look healthier than before. Your beautiful skin had replenished its colour - void from any deathly pale skin.
And most importantly, there wasn't anymore blood on you or dripping out of you. Swear to god despite being in his line of work almost all his life, Hisoka had never seen as much blood come out of a person before. And you were the last person he would ever want to see covered in blood. Especially if it was your own.

Careful not to move anything, Hisoka slipped his index finger in your curled up hand. "Y/n." He lowly whispered. Not really expecting any response from you being in this state. But out of reflex and instinct, he did.

Even though almost half a day has passed, and Hisoka hasn't slept in one, going onto two days. He wasn't going to leave your side still.

Quietly pulling the chair closer to your bed, Hisoka sat down - eyes never leaving your face.

He hoped you would still remember him when you get up again..

Holding your hand and sitting by your side reminded Hisoka of the time he was in hospital. You did the exact same thing for him. Even went as far as slept on his hand because you refused to leave his side.

"My turn now isn't it?" He distantly stated with a tiny trace of humour.

"Told you death doesn't stand a chance against you." He spoke, recalling from experience that even when unconscious, the person can still hear what's happening around them. That's how he managed to get out of his coma seven years ago - your heavenly voice. The only voice that managed to silence the hellish screams that would echo throughout his mind. The only voice he yearned to hear. A voice he could never get tired of hearing.

Feeling a weak pressure wrap around his index finger, Hisoka instantly withdrew from the mental trance the methodical heartbeat monitor beep put him in.

"Y/n?" He called out again, watching your hand attentively - unsure whether he was feeling things or his mind was messing around.

Feeling like a warm fire ignited within his dark heart upon seeing, and feeling your hand clutch his finger, Hisoka swiftly stood up and peered his face down at you. With the surgery being successful and you being strong ass woman, it was not much of a shock that you regained consciousness.

"I'm here. Just like I promised. " Hisoka said with a hushed undertone.

Watching your eyeballs gently roll underneath your closed eyelids, you eventually fluttered open your eyes with much struggle. Only managing to open them half way.

Although you were out of it, seeing Hisoka noticeably made your eyes softened. It wasn't everyday you woke up to Hisoka by your side anymore..

"I.." You hoarsely trailed off. Clutching onto his finger a bit more tightly to cope with the pain and struggle.

"Don't talk yet Y/n. Rest first. I'll be here still." Hisoka sensitively dismissed.

Blinking blankly and slowly, you eventually obeyed and weakened your hold around his finger. Gradually letting the morphine drift you off to sleep.

Not letting go of your hand, Hisoka strenuously sighed before taking a seat again.