Chapter 56

For weeks on end, the two of you briefly exchanged words. The most conversing you did was with either Maleeka or Akira.

Releasing a deep and heavy sigh as you stared mindlessly at the ceiling. Your thoughts were becoming the better of you, and the lack of contact you had with Hisoka truly depressed you.

"I can't carry on like this." You groaned, snatching the blanket off you.

Through tiny tads of dull pain aching throughout your torso, you slowly staggered through the dimly lit lounge at 2 am.

Clutching your hands into fist, mustering up bravery, you gulped dryly.

"Hisoka.." You whispered with a nervous undertone. Staring hard down, contemplating whether you should turn back and leave or call his name again. Naturally, the soft side to you felt bad to wake anyone from their sleep. It must of been hard and uncomfortable enough for him to fall asleep on the couch. The last thing he needed was to be disturbed.

Convincing yourself that this was a bad idea. Guilt overpowered you enough to cause your body to walk away. But before you could, a pair of tired yellow eyes opened half way. Weakly eyeing you out.

"O-oh.." You whispered, realising it was too late.

"Is something wrong?" His deeply smooth voice tiredly questioned. Like a beast being awaken from his decade-worth slumber.

Taking in a sharp breath, you disregarded all your nerves and worries. You were tired of this sudden distance between you and Hisoka. And it drove you insane not knowing why this was happening.

"Can.."

"..Can I lay with you tonight?"

Opening his eyes fully, Hisoka internally was surprised by your request. Indeed it was definitely the last thing he suspected.

Playing it off cool despite being caught off guard, Hisoka casually shifted more against the couch and elevated the blanket. Showcasing his welcoming invitation to you.

"T-Thank you.."

Before you laid down - back facing him, you gently pulled out Hisoka's other free arm and extended it out across the couch to rest your head on it. Another act that startled him. But nonetheless, kept quiet.

"Can I?" You murmured.

Trailing up, he saw your hand hovering a few inches above his that held the blanket up. Silently indicating that you wanted to intertwine fingers with him with his consent.

Understanding this, the Joker's heartbeat oddly picked up because it has been long enough for him to be unfamiliar to your touch. Hence waking up after 2 am, and being requested to be physically touched by you did throw his body into overdrive so early in the morning.

Instead of verbally responding, Hisoka brought down his hand onto yours, slipping his slender fingers in between your spaces.

Having realised you were holding your breath this entire time, you gradually exhaled as you brought the long awaited intertwined hands to your chest.

"..Remember before I got discharged, I told you that we need to talk about us?"

Finally. This topic was brought up. Something Hisoka was patiently and torturously waiting to talk about. Constantly, back and forth, he wrecked his mind. Thinking about where you stood on the matter.

"I remember." He stilly acknowledged.

He could tell by how your heartbeat drummed against his fingers, that you were just as nervous being in his presence. Yet alone in his personal bubble.