Chapter 52

Living up to his word, for the remaining week you were in hospital, Hisoka never left your side. Day and night.

You couldn't understand how he didn't go crazy or ever complain about sitting in one spot for the entire day for hours on end, yet alone for days. Although it was awkward at the beginning, you grew accustomed to his silence and fixed stares. Accustomed yes, but you still accepted the fact that you and Hisoka needed to clear the air.

"Mum, do you think you can do it?" Maleeka asked, peering at you and down at the long corridor ward.

With a deep inhale and exhale, you convincingly attempted to smile. "Probably. But we won't know unless I try huh?"

Tightly gripping the arm rests of the wheel chair, you mustered the strength to pick yourself up, however almost immediately, you could feel your strength depleting drastically.

Seconds from reverting back onto the wheelchair, you felt a strong arm wrap around your back and a hand, supportively holding underneath your arm. Halting your fall.

"W..what?" You murmured with a confused undertone.

Peering over to your side, you met a pair of yellow eyes softly gazing down at you.

"..Hisoka wh..?"

"You know me. I hate being in debt to someone. Consider this me returning the favour for you helping me walk up those stairs seven years ago after my recovery." Hisoka smoothly brushed off to not make his gesture seem like a big deal.

Blinking blankly, you amusingly huffed before contently closing your eyes. Feeling rather emotionally touched by this odd man's care.

Sliding your forearm back against his hand, you effortlessly slipped your fingers in between his finger gaps. Securely interlocking hands.

With a bit of nerves simmering in your core, you looked back up at him - searching for reassurance in those still eyes whether it was okay to hold his hand.

Staring at his hand in yours for a few seconds, Hisoka looked forward down the corridor instead of at you.

'Warm..'

'Your hand is warm again..' Hisoka couldn't help but mentally acknowledge with gratefulness. There was nothing more disturbing he has experienced than feeling your cold hands touching his skin last week or two. Cold hands that represented death was taking over you.

The hand that was seconds away from reaching out to Itachi. Ready to be pulled into the light. Gone forever..

Not just to a different country for years to study. Gone for good out of his life. He just wasn't ready for that even though he always acted indifferent or bitter.

Before your nerves got the better of you and convinced you to pull your hand out of his - thinking he was feeling uncomfortable. You felt his fingers rest against your skin. Completing the hand-hold.

And although you saw Hisoka looking dead straight down the ward. Just by feeling how tightly he held your hand back, a mental conversation was being exchanged from him to you.
Convincing you that you will be able to walk down this corridor. Nor do you have anything to fear because he's right next to you. He will be your pillar of strength if you need it. That he's right next to you to keep you upright if your body gives out. Just like how you refused to let him kneel in failure that day he had to walk up those stairs as his final task.

However, most importantly, the way he held your hand sincerely expressed that he doesn't mind interlocking hands with yours because he could sense your stress. If anything, it indicated how much he wanted it. How much he missed your touch. Any and every part of your body. He held you in such a way you could've sworn it felt like he was trying to keep your life anchored to this world. Afraid that death will come for your soul again.