[ 07 ]

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓ 

𝙷𝙰𝙽𝙳𝚂 𝙾𝙽 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝚂𝙽𝙸𝚃𝙲𝙷

 ┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

SUGGESTED SONG: YMCA by Village People

As the years went on, August seemed to have been forgotten about her presence. She always stayed during Christmas break every second year, her fifth year (current year) would not be one of them. But no matter what, she was all alone.

Only spoken to by teachers and sometimes classmates. Occasionally Alice, Lily and Marlene would say something to her, but as her time at Hogwarts went by, it'd become lower and lower. 

August would roam the castle at night, often getting away, however, tonight was one of those nights. Exiting from the kitchen, holding a bag of cookies and a cup of milk, she sheepishly encountered Professor McGonagall who just transfigured herself from her animagus form. "Cookie?"

"My office first thing tomorrow, Miss Gaunt." She said before telling the girl to go to her dorm straight away. It was only August's third week for her fourth term, a Friday to be exact, and she was excited for Quidditch tomorrow. Slytherin vs Gryffindor. 

"Yes, ma'am. Goodnight." She said in a mere whisper before walking towards the common room. 

Usually after getting caught from a professor you'd be in a grumpy mood, but August smirked when her eyes laid on the couch in the Gryffindor Common Room. Sitting down and grinning to herself as she ate her cookies, dipping them in milk whilst reading one of the many muggle novels Lily had lent her. 

And for muggles, they were quite good at writing novels. Happily dipping her cookie into the cup of milk before flipping the page, she giggled at the words the character said, "Name three types of Olives!" 

"Olives! I wouldn't know one type!"

"Well, there are three! You can get green ones, black ones and ones that are stuffed!"

As her eyes scanned each word, she couldn't help but notice that the flames of the fire were going out. A sigh escaping her lips before placing the book mark in her book and slamming it shut. Drinking the rest of the milk before leaving the empty cup and bag of cookies and going off to bed. 

The girls had noticed how late August would go to bed and yet be so ready for her day, already being out of the dorm, bed made and washed up. It was surprising that they thought she didn't sleep at all some nights, but after approaching her about it, she just said "When you live with my mother, you tend to pick up nicks for fifty-year olds."

They were shocked at her reply but watched her pick up her last few things needed for the day and step out of the dorm, wishing them a good day before watching her smile to her self and walk away. But as the year came closer to an end, they saw how much her smile would fade... The happy glint in her eyes disappear before returning home. 

But being back at Hogwarts made them realize how much happier she was. And that only made them smile like proud-mums.

"Miss Gaunt, do you have any idea how much trouble you are in after exploring the castle? Alone. At night."

"Professor, if I may... technically, I wasn't alone. I had the house elves and thousands of paintings to accompany me." She said with a small smile. But the girl only shrunk slightly when she saw the glare on Minerva's face, "My apologies."