[ 68 ]

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝙵𝙸𝚅𝙴 𝚃𝚄𝚁𝙽𝚂 𝚃𝙾 𝙵𝙾𝚄𝚁

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

"Why can't you stay?" Peter whined at August later that night. She had just received the letter sayin she was returning back to Professor McGonagall's, and they weren't happy one bit. James had a large pout on his lips, whilst Remus' jaw was hanging as he wasn't ready for her to leave, Sirius was also pouting but just stared at the ground. And Peter, unlike his three friends, was sitting in front of her. 

"Pete, I wish it were that simple... But my mother and almost every other Death Eater will most likely be after me now, I've already put you all in enough danger. And that means your guys families will be in danger as well... I can't be able to live with myself knowing that your guys family have died because of me." 

It was understandable, Remus thought to himself. She had already risked a lot being with the group for three days, anymore and that could put themselves as well as their families at harm. Or even their friends getting hurt...

"Don't worry, Pete, in just a week, we'll all be catching the train back to Hogwarts!"

"But who will be alive to see it happen?" Sirius said causing the group to go silent, "There's a war raging out there, August, so many people are dying right now because of it. How can you be so hopeful, in a time like this?"

Each Marauder stared at the boy in shock, and August only looked at him blankly before looking away and meeting his eyes again. "Sirius, I was just giving a life changing chance a few days ago..."

"And how many people are loosing their lives, August!?" Sirius said raising his voice. 

"Too many! And I know that!" She said raising her voice more too. "But I could be like all of them right now, if I hadn't ran away! I wouldn't be with you all, right now! I'd be stuck in that dreadful house with a bloody rotten mark on my skin! So don't give me that tone and don't need to remind me how people are loosing their lives because that stupid thing!"

"And how do we not know that you're just giving information from Dumbledore to Voldemort?" He said with his voice now screaming.

"I have never seen my uncle, except the day he gave the bloody Death Mark to my brother and his fiance!" She said standing up, "Who I should remind you, my brother did just die two weeks ago!"

"Something inside you died that day too." He said and August's eyes began to tear up quickly.

"Stop it! Just stop!" James said raising his voice too as he stood between the two. Remus and Peter could see how torn James was becoming because of the two, eyes red due to the torment he was experience.

 She only looked at him in the eyes before a stray tear fell from her eye, taking a deep breath, she wiped it away before quickly grabbing her jumper and muttering a good night before rushing out of the room.

Hearing the door of the room slam shut, each and every other Marauder sighed before all awkwarding looking at Sirius. "What was that about?" James asked the boy who still seem to be staring at the door with a clenched jaw.

"I'm going to bed." He said before trying to walk past but James was quick to stand in the way.

"No, what was that?" James said standing in front of him. "August has been through a lot these last few months, Sirius. Now what made you attack her like that?" 

Sirius looked at Remus, pleading for help but he just looked away, his attention to some loose matierial in his sweater, "Can we talk about this tomorrow?"

"No, we can't. Because August leaves tomorrow. And you're going to give her a hug and apologise to her. Now, piss off and go to your room." 

"What are you!? My mother?"

"Oh, shut up." 

August slid down her door and tucked her knees into her chest as she cried. She felt nothing except confusion and hurt. Sirius was her best friend. And he spat those words in her face like they were nothing. 

Reaching up above her head, she locked the door, and dragged her body towards her luggage where she began packing her things. Quiet sobs escaping her mouth whilst she put each piece of clothing in her case. 

Letting her hair into a braid, August sat on her bed with no tears escaping anymore. No sobs. Just dry eyes and wet cheeks. Her ears and cheeks both warm from crying, her back aching a small bit, head pounding and throat tightening. 

Hearing knocks at the door, August only picked herself up and walked towards to the Ensuite bathroom and wiped her face before getting ready for bed. 

Although, as August entered her room again, there was no knocking. So, after her many years of being stuck in Gaunt manor, she learnt one of many things. Crawling against, the ground, August made her way towards the door. Peaking underneath, she saw Sirius' peaking through also. The both of them bolting up and having panicked expressions.

"August?" Sirius said from the other side of the door. "Please... I'm sorry. Just let me in, please?"

The pair sat on the floor with a cup of hot chocolate each, August avoiding Sirius' eyes the entire time whilst he looked at her. "I was jealous." 

This caught her attention. 

August looked up at him with her brows forrowed, what was their to be jealous of? "You've been spending a lot of time with the others... and... well..." Sirius nervously chuckled and that's when August knew that it was odd for him to be feeling like this too. "I miss hanging out with you."

"So you thought you'd yell at me? And say some real harsh things to me?" 

Sirius kept his head low, his hair covering his face. August was growing frustrated and tired, placing the hot chocolate on the tray he brought she cleared her throat, "I'm gonna need you to leave."

"But your hot chocolate!"

"Out."