[ 73 ]

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝙻𝙾𝙲𝙺𝙴𝙳 𝚄𝙿

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

August slumped in the chair as she stared ahead of the classroom. Whilst her friends were helping Moony on the full moon, August Hestia Gaunt was facing detention with Professor Sinistra.

August had missed several classes with the woman, so she was facing detention. Where she was expected to study her entire, write, then later speak aloud to her teacher, what she had written. 

Professor Sinistra was a tall lanky woman. With beautiful dark skin, plump lips and dark brown eyes. The younger students all believed that they could see the moon and stars in them, which was later proven in August's third year, that it had just been the moving Solar System's lighting in the Astronomy tower. 

Professor Sinistra was always a kind teacher, as it was one of her early years in teaching at Hogwarts (second year to be exact). In her late twenties, she had been married to Hector Sinistra just months before she began teaching at Hogwarts. She fit in quickly, and no matter what she had done, she was always confident in her students.

However, it was not only because of the extra studying and miss of sleep August was slumping in her seat. The three Marauders, were helping Moony as it was the peak of the full moon. She knew that they'd be okay, seeing as they've been doing this for almost a year now, but, the four Marauders were occasionally idiotic. And to be running around with a werewolf, who was their friend, was a large threat to their lives. But a very respectful action.

As August writ more words, her mind pondered to the group, she wondered what it felt like to be an animal. The sensations. The taste of food. Do animals taste food differently? How large or small the world may feel? 

Of course, after studying the Patronus in the beginning of her current year, August knew that there is the possibly of either having a mythical creature or a muggle creature. The muggle creature being common amongst witches, wizards and muggles. It was on a rare occasion that someone would have a mythical creature. 

Students in her year, mostly Slytherins and Raven claws, few Gryffindor's, were betting to see whether not August would have a mythical creature or not. But, they were all left defeated when they realized that she couldn't conjure it. Patricia Rakepick, their DADA teacher, gave August an extra week to try her best and complete it, because she knew that August was capable. But unfortunately, August was graded Poor. As everything was perfect, her pronunciation, wand movement, stance, her essay on the spell. She just couldn't conjure it. 

Every with Witch or Wizard, knew that to perform the Patronus Charm, you needed a strong happy memory. There were several moments where August used the Patronus Charm and a wisp would escape her wand, but no apparition of an animal or creature, the silver light didn't even leave her wand long enough to be deemed as an incorporeal. She couldn't conjure the Patronus Charm. 

And it saddened herself, her friends and teachers, as they realized August had no happy memory that was truly strong enough.

Lily Evans was up late that night in the common room, doing extra study for a test in Herbology the following morning. Hearing shuffling, she looked up and was startled to see August stumble in. Her hair a mess on her head, her jumper tightly wrapped around her arms, head low and eyes drooping. 

That's when she saw the time.

It was three in the morning, and she hadn't realized. The fire in her hair seemed so dark in the dim light, brown eyes somewhat bright in the light. Her own Hogwarts jumper seemed so warm and safe, matching the grey sweatpants. Her small slippers keeping her feet warm against the night's cold. "August?"

Startling August, she jumped and pulled her wand, pointing it fiercely at her friend. "Oh." She muttered before taking a deep breath and lowering her wand, "Sorry."

"It's okay." Lily said softly. It terrified her. Her own friend, her room mate, had just pulled her wand at her. Of course, Lily understood, they were amongst a war. Her mother was a Death Eater. Her brother and sister in law was a Death Eater. Her uncle was a Death Eater. Her own school mates were sending jinxes towards her at any given chance. Her own teachers don't trust her either.

Although August isn't one to talk about her feelings, because she doesn't want people to worry. But Lily and her room-mates knew about her lack of sleep, the nightmares that bore in them, the hour she spends in the shower to wash away negativity and stray thoughts. Occasionally, they'd stand at the entrance hearing the soft sniffles, occasionally they could hear her crying on the floor. Or, on a rare chance, she'd be singing a sad slower song or humming it.

Although, they noticed how quick her appetite changed within the last two months. She could barely stomach food, then the next, she'd be trying to eat everything. Most of her meals, she'd take her time at, and her plate was always smaller. Alice said it was because of her most likely suffering from Depression or some form of an eating Disorder. So, Alice decided that the following morning, she'd make sure to inform Professor McGonagall. 

"Go up to bed. I'll join you in a bit." Lily said softly and August smiled and nodded.

"Uh... Sorry again. But goodnight, Lils."

"Goodnight, August." Lily said smiling at her friend before watching her friend, who was deeply suffering go up the stairs. 

It was always heavy on everyone who was close to August, to see her so drained. Mentally and slowly physically. Looking at photos of her first years with the group, she had such a cheery and confident smile. Eyes glowing of life, cheeks with the red tint. She was smaller as well. Very small in fact.

She was confident, didn't have any walls deteriorating, no vulnerability, not people had a clue about her. 

And now...

Dark rings had now enclosed her eyes, the bags beneath them deepening the tint. Her blue eyes seemed so grey and dull, her skin paler than ever, cheeks pale with no red tint. Her body fragile and frail with her skin clinging to her bones. 

She was scared, vulnerable. No one had ever seen a Gaunt, well, no one had ever seen a Gaunt in the House of Godric. Yet, that happened to her age eleven. But she wasn't a confident, under the age of fifteen years old, she wasn't bright and excited. She was a drowning in depression teenager, who was forced to mature too fast. And the effects of the world, were catching up too fast. How long would it be till she grew worn out? And was ready to throw it away?