[ 39 ]

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝚁𝙾𝙾𝙼 𝙽𝙴𝚇𝚃 𝙳𝙾𝙾𝚁

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

"Yes, a mirror for dancing. Believe it or not, that's what I planned in doing today." She said to the boy before slipping the ballet boots from her bag and then showing an image she drew of a ballet performer. "It's a muggle performing art. Lily Evans introduced me to it and I've fallen in love with it since."

Handing him the drawing he became curios, "Is this all you do in here?" 

"Not really. I do come here to dance and play my instruments." She knew she could've easily let slip of her many inventions and spells, however she knew it was best to keep that part quiet for now.

"How come Dumbledore hasn't discovered this yet?" 

"I assume he and McGonagall both know that I come here everyday. It's an oasis in my eyes." August said softly admiring the two in the mirror, "I hope that by next year, it will be complete. Plants, magical artifacts, music, shelves with all sorts, a safe haven."

"That sounds nice... but am I the only one who knows about this room?"

August glanced between the floor and him awkwardly before shaking her head saying no, "James Potter, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew and Sirius. They know."

Regulus gave a small sad smile and nod before looking in the mirror, he may only be twelve but he was nearing in August's height. A chuckle escaped his lips causing August to look at him curiously and confused, "I'm nearly as tall as you."

"I get it, I'm only 5"5 at the moment." August laughed before smiling at the boy. "I'll always be here for you, Reggie. Even if you just want to complain about someone, a teacher or your brother. And if you like, I could try and persuade him into talki-"

"He won't. He's too Gryffindor! Gryffindor! We all hate the snakes, we all like to beat! dah, dah, dah!" Regulus said rolling his eyes, "No offence."

"It's alright, you're just being brutally honest." August said with a sad smile, "Now, I just want to tell you that sometimes the boys come occasionally. But room three two-three is all yours, however, I may pop in for some books."

"That's alright, I'd like to know more about the castle anyway." He said to her with a smile. "I'll be on my way, then."

"You have a good night, Reggie."

"All the time, Augs." He said smiling before exiting the room, leaving August staring at the now closed door with a small grin. It had been a while since she talked to someone like that, someone who wasn't her age. And was in the same situation.

Left alone in a family, with your best friend, your brother, separating themselves from you all because of the house you were placed into. The person you thought you would be with till the end of life and time, the person that was meant to be right next to you as you grew older. No, they were alone. 

Alone with dreadful parents (although August didn't have her father), it was just them. Locked up in a cold house. A place they were meant to call home. A place where they were meant to feel loved, welcomed and comfortable not cold, not scared or so angry.

Looking in the mirror, August could almost see the reflection of a laughing Regulus. And in that moment, August knew... she was going to do everything to keep him from harms way. He needed a loving person in life.

August stepped into the Great Hall and grinned at the smell and warmth of the food hitting her. The laughter and chatter warming her heart, but what warmed her entire body was the smiles people wore. Even those who seemed like they never smiled... they were smiling. 

Glancing towards the Slytherin table, she saw the familiar face. Waving at the boy who quickly smiled before waving, turning back to his friends though. August smiled like a child seeing magic for the first time as she walked towards the Gryffindor table, where her friends were. "Hello, ladies."

"There you are!" Marlene said with a big grin, "You have to try this gravy! It's amazing!"

"Is it just me, or is August grinning to herself like a crazy-woman?" Peter asked as he stared at the girl who waved at the Slytherin.

"Who'd she wave at?" Remus asked curiously, each Marauders eyes followed and fell onto Regulus Arcturus Black. Sirius' little brother. "Oh."

"They've talked before..." Sirius muttered before shrugging and turning back to his food, "We all know I'm still better."

"Ah, yes. None other than Sirius Black himself." James said sarcastically, moving over slightly to make room for August to sat down but felt his jaw drop as she walked towards Lily. "Blimey, chose the girls over you Sirius. Even I wouldn't have done that, even if it were Lily."

"Aw, thanks, mate!" Remus laughed at his mate. 

"That kind of hurt, I have to admit that." Peter said gazing at his friends. "Are we becoming boring?"

"Of course not!" Sirius said before sighing, "I think I also know why she didn't join us..." he added. Feeling full of regret.  "If you excuse me, I'm going to head up to the dormitory to wash up." 

Without listening to his mates reply, he made his way to the Gryffindor common room. Feeling the burning stares of many people, but oblivious to know that one of them was August and Regulus.