Chapter 5

"Mic check" I say, as I test the earpiece.

I wrap my arm around Carlo's as we walk up the steps into the venue. People stop and whisper as they see us two and I mentally roll my eyes.

Mind your damn business.

"Check"

"Check"

"Check"

Some others say check as well, as Carlo and I walk to a table reserved for the Knight and Rivera family.

I sit down and Carlo takes a seat next to me. Rico and Santiago stay at a different table whilst a mix of our different gang men spread around the room.

Carlo turns his chair so it's facing the dance floor and he isn't craning his neck to look around. He man spreads and crosses his arms, his muscles bulging through his suit jacket that he put on before walking inside.

He looks down and his tongue sticks out a little as he tries to tie his tie. It ends up wrong and he tries to do it again a few times before leaving it alone and giving up.

He looks up and notices me looking.

"Need some help?" I chuckle.

"Yes" He starts to lean forward to me but I put a hand up which he stops immediately.

"What's the magic word?"

He gives me a playful glare and I smile innocently. "Please"

Laughing lightly I motion him to sit forward which he does and I start to tie it.

I pat his chest three times when I'm done and expect him to lean back in his chair again but he doesn't. I look up to meet his gaze and he's staring at me like I'm something amazing.

Getting uncomfortable with the new look I've never experienced before I turn my attention towards the room and look around.

Where are you Ramon?

"Any eyes of Ramen Noodles?" I ask. Instantly regretting it because my father sends me a glare from his table.

Carlo chuckles from behind me and says not yet. The others say no as well.

I turn my legs back under the table and see a pen in the middle of it. I grab it and twirl it around my fingers.

A nervous habit of mine to keep my hands busy.

I hate anxiety.

***

CARLO'S POV :

I watch as Adelaide twirls the pen around her fingers, her eyes fixated on how the pen moves and her lips in a relaxed pout as she concentrates.

"Do you want to dance?" I blurt out. Just wanting to hold her.

She looks at me with a blank expression, the pen still going.

"We can get a better look," I explain.

She nods her head and puts the pen down. I take her hand in mine and feel an electric feeling go up my arm. I shake the feeling off and put my hand on her lower back and she puts a hand on my shoulder, our other hands to the side.

I look down and realise she's gone on her tiptoes a little, her heels not making her quite tall enough.

I suppress a smile and lead the dance. She looks up at me with her big grey eyes, my hand on her lower back makes me feel how skinny she is.

The way it feels as if she hasn't eaten in a while. I furrow my eyebrows and she looks away around the room.

We move around the room as other couples dance around us. I keep my eyes on her and lower my hand tilting her backwards, when I bring her back up she has a smile on her face and I freeze for a second.