Chapter 36

I sit quietly at the top of the three steps that lead to the beach with the others sitting at a table behind me. I keep my eyes set on the blue waves that fade into the sand and go back out again.

---

Start of Flashback: (Adelaide is five years old.)

"We're going to go to a beach one day!" Mother squeals in a hushed tone excitedly.

I give her a puzzled face and tilt my head to the side. "What's a beach?"

"It's this place near the sea where it has heavenly sand that tickles your feet and the water is cold and salty." I watch mom spin around the room with a smile on her face.

I stand up on the bed and laugh at how she is acting, she walks up to me and sticks her pinky out. "I promise you that I will take you to the beach one day my piccolo topo." (Little mouse)

I wrap my small pinky around hers and we kiss each other's hands. Mother starts to sing a song and dance around the room whilst I sit back down and watch how her long wavy dark brown hair cascades down her back and how her bright blue eyes shine in the setting sunlight.

End of flashback:

---

We never got to go to the beach together.

I dig my feet into the soft yellow sand and smile a little at how it tickles.

You were right mom. It does tickle.

"So I got my nails done but the lady who did them didn't do them in the time slot I asked for and when I pointed it out to her she said she was trying! How unbelievable is that? I was like I'm paying you to do this and finish this in an hour and you can't even do it! It's not hard to ask other employees to do my other fingers. So I didn't pay her for it and walked out." Lexi shrugs showing everyone the very detailed design she wanted on her phone.

"Oh and then when I got my hair done-"

She goes to continue but gets disrupted by me standing up and walking over to the table everyone is sat at.

"Uh I'm talking." Lexi scoffs.

"Continue." I reassure her as I put my hands in Isabella's and Nicola's hand. They both stand up and walk with me onto the beach.

We've been at the beach for maybe two hours now and the whole time Lexi hasn't shut up about herself or given time for others to speak. Not only that but she's already told us about her nails and hair three times.

She keeps glaring at me and I don't know what her problem is with me, I don't think I did anything.

The three of us take off our clothes so we are in our swim stuff and start to walk across the sand to the water.

I put my feet into the water and stand there with my head down watching the water run past me.

"Come on." Nicola drags me into the water and I gasp at the instant coldness.

"Bad idea bad idea" I mutter through chattering teeth. Izzy laughs at me and kicks water at me. I look at her with my jaw dropped as she smiles.

I splash water back and walk further into the water. I go until waist high and turn around to look at them already playing in the shallow part. I tilt my head back so my hair is wet and stay like that with my eyes closed.

When I slowly open my eyes and stand up properly, I come face to face with a bare chest. I look up to see Carlo. "Why are you so close?" I question whilst pushing my wet hair back.