Chapter 44

"STARING COMPETITION!" Izzy screams as she bounces up and down on the couch. Everyone has gone out to do something but haven't told us where so here we are, bored out of our minds.

Carlo faces me and smiles.

"3"

"2"

"1"

Izzy counts down and Carlo and I stare into each other's eyes. Carlo has a huge grin on his face as he looks at me. I smile back and move forward a little.

Carlo looks shocked for a quick second before leaning in as well. I put my face in front of his as Izzy giggles, I move closer and our noses touch. Slowly Carlo's eyes close and he moves forward to close the small gap.

Quickly leaning back and giving Izzy a high five, I shout. "I win!" Carlo opens his eyes and playfully glares at me.

Carlo crosses his arms and pouts. Izzy climbs onto his lap and hugs him. "We can have a contest, Carlo." She offers. "I'll let you win."

Carlo smiles and hugs her back.

"I'm going to go to the kitchen real quick." I announce and walk out.

-------
CARLO'S POV:

"Go!" Bella shouts and sits next to me facing me. I stare into her eyes and she blows in my face making me blink.

"You cheated!" I accuse. "What happened to letting me win?"

Bella laughs. "Stop being a baby."

She stops laughing after a few seconds and looks at me seriously. "Is Adelaide okay?"

I furrow my eyebrows. "Yeah. Why wouldn't she be?"

She looks down at her hands and plays with them. "She has scratches on her body and I sometimes hear her throwing up in the bathroom. We don't have an animal so that can't be the reason she has scratches. Mommy says when she was pregnant she threw up a lot but Adelaide doesn't have a bump on the stomach so she can't be that."

"They're from my old missions. And I've been throwing up all week because I had food poisoning." Adelaide's voice surrounds the room as she walks in with a smile on her face. "Nothing to worry about."

"Promise?" Bella asks and sticks her pinky out.

Adelaide's face pales and she tries not to look at Bella. Adelaide puts a hand behind her back and crosses her fingers before wrapping her pinky around Bella's. "Promise." She whispers quietly.

"I got you Ice cream!" Adelaide announces and gives Bella a bowl with ice cream and chocolate syrup drizzled on top. Bella squeals and takes the bowl, Adelaide looks at me with a small smile and stands up straight. "I'm going to go for a shower."

I nod my head and she goes to walk out, I clear my throat and she turns around. I stick my lips out and she chuckles before walking over and kissing my lips quickly.

"Thank you." I smile.

She rolls her eyes and walks out of the room.

"I love Adelaide." Bella muffles, her mouth full of ice cream.

"I love her too." I smile at the door Adelaide just walked out of.

Bella drops her spoon in her bowl and holds her head. "Brain freeze"

****

Today was going so well, it was quiet in the house and Adelaide, Bella and I were bonding. But then everyone came home with a guest.

"What the fuck is he doing here!?" I spit out, staring at the disgusting man at the end of the dinner table.

"I'm a part of this family! That's why." Rico grits out.

Adelaide is sat next to me closest to Giovanni who is at the end of the table. On the other side of him is Bella and Nicola. Next to them is Lexi and Tobias. On the other side of me is Alessia and my mom is next to her, closest to...

Rico.

Giovanni has always hated Rico, that's why he is staring deadly at him as well.

Bella looks at me a little scared so I give her a small smile. She looks at Adelaide and so do I. Adelaide hasn't spoken since they all came back and she's wearing baggy clothes.

Bella knocks lightly on the table and Adelaide looks at her, Bella gives her two thumbs up with a big smile and Adelaide does it back to her.

"Adelaide?" Rico questions from where he is sat. She looks over at him. "I decided to invite your father to join us on our last week here. So he'll be arriving in three days."

"Are we just inviting whoever we want to my house then? Without my permission?" Giovanni questions.

"Let's not do this at the table." Alessia speaks sternly, looking at the kids.

We all sit in an awkward silence and eat the food. When we've all finished everybody leaves without a word.

Adelaide and I walk up to the room and I quickly lock the door. "I'm so sorry Amore." I hug her. She laughs lightly and pats my back.

"I'm okay."

"I love you." I kiss her lips softly and pull away after a second.

"I love you more." She winks playfully at me. I laugh and shake my head.

"I'm going for a shower." I kiss her forehead and walk to the bathroom.

------
ADELAIDE'S POV:

Carlo walks into the bathroom and leaves the door unlocked like always in case I need him. I unlock the bedroom door when I hear the water running and close it behind me.

I take two pins out of my hair and pick the lock so it's locked. I run down the halls until I get to Giovanni's office, I knock lightly and the door opens.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"I need your help." I exclaim.

He opens the door wider and I step through, he closes the door and I stand in front of him.

"I need your help in killing someone. I would do it myself but I need backup and Carlo can't know about it."

"Okay.... Who's the someone?" He leans against the door.

"Santiago. My father."