Chapter 26

Santiago glares at me and tells the girl to leave. As she walks out of the door she looks Carlo up and down and winks at him. I watch him roll his eyes and slam the door in her face.

"What are you doing here?" Santiago grits out.

I wipe my sleeve over my gun, polishing it and admiring the words written on it. "Can't I just see my dad once in a while?"

Carlo is standing at the door with his legs apart and arms crossed watching every move the two of us take carefully.

"So. How'd you get Ramon to come after the Knights?" I ask to get straight to it.

Santiago looks at me confused before leaning back and the look of realisation flashes over him. "He was actually there to kill you. Said he wanted to see you again after I told him how well your body had grown" Santiago hums looking me up and down.

A gunshot is sounded through the room and a bullet gets wedged right beside Santiago's head.

...but I didn't shoot.

I look over at Carlo and he is holding his own gun in one hand staring deadly at Santiago.

"Did Ramon kill my mom?"

"Yep," Santiago let out a laugh. "I ordered him too. You seemed to have gotten over your first kill and you needed to grow up."

"I was a kid!" I shout at him.

I aim at his legs and shoot him on both knees. Santiago bangs his fists in the table as he screams.

I grab a handful of his hair and pull it up so he's looking at me. "Don't scream. It means you're vulnerable if you show your weakness" I repeat his words from the first time he shot me in the thigh.

He glares at me and I smile. I pull his spinny chair which he's sat on to the middle of the room and tie his hands up onto the arm rests. I tie his legs up also.

Standing in front of him I watch as a tear falls down from his eye. "Rule number one. don't cry. It's a sign of weakness and gets you nowhere in life"

I recite one of the rules he told me and I had to live by.

Santiago laughs as he sees what I'm doing. "Rule number two. Don't laugh. Being happy doesn't last and you should never be happy. You don't deserve it."

I grab a knife and stab him in the gunshot wound on his left leg. Santiago let's out another scream and I drag the knife down a little, tears spilling from his eyes."What did I say about rule number one." I leave the knife in his knee and walk around him. "You're being vulnerable, sensitive, boring, weak"

I take a seat in front of him and smile. "Don't cry dad. You should be proud, no? Isn't this how you wanted me to be?"

Santiago takes a deep breath. "I loved your mother"

"Lies," I whisper.

"You were being too sensitive and I needed something to make you break." He speaks quickly.

"You could've died." I chuckle a humourless laugh. "But seriously. Die."

I rest the gun on his temple. "Bang" I whisper.

Santiago closes his eyes and waits for me to pull the trigger. "Idiot" I move the gun away. "I'm not going to kill you" I shoot him in the arm. "Well. We have to go" I look at my bare wrist pretending I have a watch on. "We have important things to do"

I smile sweetly at him before turning around and walking to Carlo. He smiles down at me and opens the door letting us both out.

"Did you like my plan?" I question as we leave the mansion and make our way to the car.

"I wish you killed him" He mumbles, opening the passenger side door for me.

I get in and he walks to his side and gets in. Starting the car he lays his hand on my thigh and rubs his thumb on it.

"What were the needles for?" Carlo asks, pulling out of the driveway.

"I was going to put them under his fingernails."

Carlo laughs lightly. "So you could make him limp and do whatever you wanted only hearing his screams?"

"What can I say? I'm creative" I shrug.

Carlo holds his hand out flat out and I look down at it confused. "Do you want some gum?" I ask.

He chuckles and takes my hand in his interlocking them so the back of my hand is facing the inside of his. He changes gears with his hand wrapped around mine and leaves it there.

"Who knew? The great bad Mafia Don has a soft spot" Carlo glares at me and I laugh. "I'm only playing."

I watch the trees out of the window as we speed down roads until we get to the house once more.