Chapter 46

Death.

The one word that finishes all of our stories, all of our lives. The full stop of the lives we live. No one knows what happens after death, they say there's a heaven and there's a hell but I just can't seem to wrap my head around that theory.

I don't think I would go to any of them either, I've done good things but I've also killed and hurt people I don't know. I was just ordered to do so.

I've given much thought to dying. I won't lie over the years I've begged for it to happen. I don't think I'm scared of it. My fear is more being alive for decades but eventually dying like you never existed at all.

Everyone is alone, it may seem like you're not because we surround ourselves with company. Each and everyone of us are alone. Alone on a floating piece of rock, floating in a dark abyss.

Death is the name of the last chapter. The chapter when we realise the people we surround ourselves with won't follow.

We are alone.

That may be the reason I've been ignoring Carlo for a day and a half. Mostly because I don't know how tonight will end. I'm used to pushing everyone and everything away.

After all, it was trained into my head that I deserve to be alone. That thought we never go away, it has been chiselled into my brain.

Tonight I'm going to be breaking a promise, if that's what you can call it.

****

Start of flashback: (From Chapter 29) In Adelaide's POV:

"I promise that you can be there when I kill Santiago." I laugh nervously, whilst hiding my hand behind my back and crossing my fingers quickly.

Carlo laughs and smiles at me fondly.

I don't think I would be able to let him be there, if he gets hurt I won't be able to forgive myself.

End of flashback:

****

"Ti amo, Carlo." (I love you, Carlo) I whisper as I look down at him.

I push a loose curl away from his eyes as he sleeps, he inhales deeply and pulls the hoodie, which is mine, he has wrapped around his hand closer to his chest.

Walking out of the room I am greeted by Giovanni. "Ready?"

I take a deep breath. "Yeah. Let's go."

We walk to his office where everyone is waiting in silence. I push open the doors and walk to the board that has the plan on it.

"Francis and your group will circle around here." I point to the right side of the plane. "Luca and your group will take the left. Donatello and your group will take the back. The rest will go in front."

The men hum in agreement and leave to go to the cars.

"The rest of you." I look at the six people left including Giovanni. "Will be with me, inside the jet. Three at the front of the jet, three at the back. I need to be alone with Santiago." I lean my hands on the table as I look at them. "Any questions?"

"No." They all walk out leaving me and Giovanni.

I fix my thigh holster and make sure my knives and guns are where they are supposed to be. I grab a hair tie and put my hair into a ponytail.

"Are you going to be okay with this?"

I look over to Giovanni. "Yep." I walk past him to leave but he grabs my upper arm, stopping me.