Chapter 60

Carlo wasn't my first kiss, he wasn't my first time sexually either. But he is my first love, he is my first light. He gives me endless butterflies and the mere thought of him makes my heart race.

Most importantly, he gives light to this darkness that has consumed me for many years.

With the sun slowly setting, the fairy lights light up around the trees and the chairs. From the small hut they've forced me into I look out the window, feeling mesmerised by the lights and the sun peaking through the trees.

I stand up and walk over to the full body mirror in the corner of the room. Why is it that whenever I look at myself I have to point out my scars? Always the scars, it's annoying. Why do I have to make myself feel worse than I already do?

It's my wedding day, I shouldn't be feeling sad.
There's a soft knock on the door and then Giovanni walks in with Izzy and Nicola.

"Ciao Angelo" (Hello angel) He closes the door behind him and I walk over to him to give him a hug.

My nerves hit me like a truck when they left me in this room. I paced back and forth for a few minutes until the lights turned on. But now that Giovanni is here I'm guessing it's time and I'm getting panicky all over again.

"Hi." I whisper into his shoulder.

He pulls back and holds my shoulders at arms length. "Sei bellissima." (You are beautiful)

"Grazie." (Thank you)

Giovanni loops his arm with mine and I stop dead in my tracks. "I can't do it." I mumble.

I look through the tiny gap in the curtains of the small room and see all the people. My breathing gets heavier and I become warm all over.

Two small hands take mine and I look down at Izzy and Nicola. "We're going to be there." Nicola shrugs.

"You look beautiful and you are going to walk down there to my big brother and get married." Izzy smiles. "Because you're strong and you and my brother are in love."

After a few seconds of looking at them I re wrap my arm with Giovanni's....

"Okay." I breathe out.

Giovanni opens the door and Nicola and Izzy walk out hand in hand.

Giovanni and I watch them both go down the aisle smiling at everyone, Giovanni makes me look at him when I'm presuming Carlo goes to stand at the end of the aisle.

"Ready?" Giovanni whispers to me.

"No." I laugh nervously.

He smiles brightly at me and taps my arm reassuringly. He takes a step forward and I follow his lead.

We get to the beginning of the aisle and everyone stands up turning their body shape to face me. I turn my head to the floor and hear Giovanni laugh.

He takes a step forward and I watch his feet move instead of lifting my head up.

------
CARLO'S POV: start song.

The music starts and I hear everyone stand up from their seats. My head was originally facing the floor but I slowly lift my head up and turn it to look behind me.

My breath catches in my throat and my mouth parts slightly as I watch Adelaide in a beautiful black dress, with her arm looped with Giovanni's walking towards me with her head facing down.

I smile slightly as I take in her appearance, half way down the aisle Giovanni whispers something into my ear and she snaps her head to him with a smile she tries to hide.