Chapter 68

Running as fast as I can to the bathroom I slam the door behind me and fall to my knees hugging the toilet. I heave and the yogurt I had this morning comes up, then the few fries I had for lunch come up as well.

I rest my head on my arms over the toilet as I hear the door open. I don't have time to look before I'm throwing up again,

"Sh sh sh." Carlo tries to calm me as I dry heave since there's nothing in my stomach anymore. He grips my hair into a loose ponytail and kneels down next to me rubbing my back up and down.

I sob at the painful burning sensation at the back of my throat as I heave again. We stay like this for a few more minutes until I flush the toilet and put the lid down, I sit with my back against the wall and knees up where I rest my head on them taking deep breaths.

I feel Carlo come and sit next to me, he tucks me into his side and rubs my shoulder kissing my head every so often. "Do you need anything?" He questions.

I sniff and lift my head up looking at him through teary eyes. "Water and Tylenol please."

My head is pounding and I feel a little dizzy.

He nods his head and kisses away a fallen tear down my cheek. When he leaves the bathroom I stand up wobbly on the heels I'm still wearing, I get to the sink and brush my teeth and tongue.

When I'm done I walk out of the bathroom and into the kitchen where Carlo has just found the paracetamol. I jump up onto the counter and he hands me two paracetamol. "Just a sec." he mumbles and turns around grabbing a glass.

I put the tablets into my mouth and swallow them, I hear the tap and then Carlo looks at me with a glass of water.

"Where did they go?" He asks, looking around the table trying to find them.

"I swallowed them."

He scrunches up his face. "How do you take them like that?"

I freeze, A failed overdose.....

"Basically I put it into my mouth and did this thing called swallowing. So I close my mouth and do the swallowing thing and Tadaa." I do jazz hands as he stares at me without saying anything.

"Seriously? Swallowing is this motion you do-" I go to explain.

"I know what swallowing is, I've seen you do it many times." He mumbles the last part and tips the water away.

"I heard that." I deadpan, he smiles and kisses my forehead.

"I didn't lie." He puts his hand to my forehead. "You haven't got a temperature."

"It was probably the food I had." I give him a reassuring smile.

"Do you still want to do this meeting?" He asks, "We can just stay here and you can get some sleep."

"It's okay. I'm alright."

"We've got an hour until the meeting, so nap time." He lifts me up not giving me a chance to protest, he walks over to the bedroom where he lays me down and unzips my boots.

He gets on the bed beside me and makes me lay on him, I rest my head on his chest and breathe in his comforting scent.

"Go to sleep." He whispers.

*****

Carlo and I sit at the end of the large table next to each other as twelve men sit around the rest of the table.

Five of those men are typing away on laptops trying to look at cameras and find out who was following us earlier.

I slouch a little in my chair with my leg crossed over the other and my arms hanging off the sides of the chair.

Carlo holds one of my hands playing with my fingers and wedding ring, he looks at everyone as they talk about a ball we are invited to after Christmas.

"Who else is going to be at the ball?" I question staring at an empty wall.

"Most Mafias are going to be there." Someone says.

"How many guards are we allowed to take?" I keep staring at the wall as I try and think of where I've seen the person's face before.

I just can't remember.

"Seven. And that's for everyone." Someone else says.

I now turn my attention to the guy on a computer closest to me. "Check the parking lot."

He looks at me and nods his head, his fingers tap fast against the keyboard of his laptop.

As he's working I look at the others staring back at me.

"Christmas is next week, so I need everyone upping their training especially if we're only allowed seven with us. We're gonna need a few more surrounding the building, if we are being followed we're going to have to be double protected."

I look back to the guy on the laptop. "If you see anyone there that was near our car, or a few spaces down in front, print the picture and put it into a file please."

I stand up and let go of Carlo's hand, "Night." I mumble and open up the glass door letting it close behind me.

So tired.

I walk over to our room since our meeting was in the room down the hall of our penthouse. The penthouse is only temporary until we find a better living space, so we don't have to share a mansion with Rico.

I walk in and take the blazer I have on off, I hang it up and unzip my boots, pulling them off and leaving them near the door. I unzip my dress and step out of it leaving it on the floor beside the bed.

I grab a pair of sweatpants and put them on and then a plain white shirt, I pull my hair into a messy bun and climb into bed wrapping myself up.

A few minutes pass and Carlo comes walking in unbuttoning his shirt with one hand and in his other hand he's holding my boots.

He gives me a small smile and puts the boots away, before taking his shirt off properly and picking up my dress. He throws them into the laundry bag along with his pants.

He climbs into bed with me and pulls me towards him.

"Sorry I didn't put them away." I apologise.

"Don't apologise." He mumbles, turning off the lamp beside the bed.

He presses a kiss to my lips. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I fall asleep to Carlo playing with my hair and rubbing his thumb against my waist.