Mudbloods (Hermione Granger x Carl Gallagher AU) (Part One, Years 1-3)

Anyone who's ever had the pleasure of meeting Hermione Granger, has also had the extreme misfortune of meeting her guard dog.

The two of them have been practically inseparable from the moment they met on their very first day of primary school.

Their friendship solidifying after he'd socked another student square in the mouth for calling her a freak.

From that moment on if one wanted to find the brutish Gallagher boy, first they must locate that little Granger girl.

They'd always been much the same person, despite differing drastically in terms of personality.

Though they both called the slums of England home, their family lives began the long list of differences between the two.

She came from dentists, two hardworking citizens of Britain that had raised her to earn the respect of those around her.

He came from quite literally nothing, with his older brother teaching him that respect is something to be commanded- taken even.

She was the light of her parents lives, their greatest accomplishment as she was an only child.

He was merely a face amongst the crowd inside his home, nothing but another lousy burden on his eldest sisters shoulders.

Their similarities however are what first peaked his interest in her, the moment he saw her accidentally make the pictures in her book dance.

Grinning at her wildly, he'd picked up a rock and closed his hand around it...

...only to reveal a fluttering butterfly when he'd reopened it, the rock nowhere to be found.

No matter how different the two children may have seemed, they understood their abnormalities tied them together...

...and strength would always be greater in numbers when it came to the slums.

The two of them were together so often that both of their Hogwarts letters arrived to the Granger residence at the same time, attached to the hand of one Professor McGonagall.

The poor Professor knew she'd have her hands full the moment she handed the pair their letters.

He'd immediately stated he couldn't go, that he couldn't afford to go even if he'd wanted to.

That his family wouldn't let him go even if they had the money.

She'd insisted her parents would cover the tuition for the both of them, that money wouldn't be an issue for either of them.

That his family didn't really even need to know the truth about magic.

That her parents could tell them that they'd entered him for a scholarship at a boarding school they'd been intending to send her to and it had been granted.

As the Professor watched the two plot, she came to the conclusion once they'd arrived at school they'd be more trouble than those Weasley brothers could ever imagine being.

She almost feared their sorting, for she knew what was bound to happen.

Her theories had be proven correct a short time later, the hat had hardly touched his head before calling out its decision.

"SLYTHERIN!"

The girl had taken much longer for the hat to place, but no matter what the hat suggested she only had one thing on her mind...

...Strength is greatest in numbers.

So the hat had relented, granting the girl her wish despite knowing the hardships it would bring.