Snakes in the Lions Den

"Miss Avery, Fifty Points from Slytherin!" Professor McGonagall shouts when she takes notice of the stinging jinx I'd thrown at Ronald Weasley, what she hadn't seen were Weasley and his sister throwing insults at Adrian and I just moments before I lost my temper and hexed the git. I open my mouth to say something to her but am stopped when Adrian clamps his hand over my mouth so silence me. He waits until McGonagall leads her lions back to their tower before he removed his hand and spins me around in his arms to face him. "You shouldn't have hexed him, Love." Adrian says softly, hugging me tightly to his chest. "They called us Death Eaters, Dri." I growl angrily into his chest, my fingers fisting the fabric of his school robes tightly as unshed tears burn my eyes. "You didn't expect it? Our families side with The Dark Lord, Our fathers are inner circle Death Eaters. Even if we aren't, we're going to suffer for their choices... even if we wouldn't make them ourselves." He says, stroking my hair lightly in an attempt to comfort me. "We aren't our parents, Adrian." I scoff, blinking the tears from my eyes.

"I know we aren't, but the Gryffindors will never see us as anything but Death Eaters and Followers of The Dark Lord." He says honestly, using his arms to push me back from his chest a bit to look me in the face. "Then we'll make them." I snap, my eyes hardening with determination. "How do you suppose we do that, My Love?" He grins, knowing I'm already forming a plan. "We need to go see Dumbledore, now, before Umbitch runs him from the castle." My boyfriend smirks and leans down to quickly capture my lips with hisown. "You're hot when you're plotting something." He growls at me when he pulls away, offering me his hand. I lead the way to the Headmaster's office, nearly shouting the password at the gargoyle when we reach the hidden entrance. Adrian watches as the gargoyle leaps to the side and reveals a staircase. Together we climb the stairs two at a time, trying to make this as quick of a visit as possible. Pushing the door open we find Dumbledore sitting behind his desk, reading over some old scroll with a gleam in his eye.

"Ah, Miss Avery and Mr Pucey, I've been expecting the two of you." He says without glancing up from his scroll, causing Adrian and I to recoil slightly at his knowing tone. After a moments pause I clear my throat and step forward, my hand still clutching tightly to Adrian's. "Then I suspect you know what we want." I politely state, the usual edge to my voice gone. "Yes, Miss Avery, I am very much aware of your wishes to deflect from your father. Just as I am aware Mr Pucey needs my help to avoid taking the Dark Mark the moment he returns home for the winter holidays." Adrian stiffens behind me and I grit my teeth, of course the old bats been watching for defectors. "Then I am correct to assume you have a solution?" I snap, my patience wearing thin. "My solution will not be an easy one, Miss Avery, and it will bring some things to light I'm sure will shock you to your core." He gestures for Adrian and I to take a seat, which we reluctantly do, before he continues speaking- he knows we'll do whatever it takes.

"Let me start by telling you of your true parentage, Miss Avery. You are not a Pureblood by birth, but by blood ritual. You were born a Muggleborn, kidnapped at only three weeks old by your father after he lost his wife during childbirth." I gasp loudly and tighten my grip on Adrian's hand, my entire life is a lie. "You appeared on the Hogwarts registry at only a week old after a rather outstanding display of accidental magic." He pauses, giving Adrian and I a moment to process the information bit by bit. "You-Know-Who was informed of you and decided you would become an asset if correctly brought up, which is when he assigned your father to take you from your muggle family and raise you as his own." He stops and looks at me, as if he's waiting for something. "The muggles?" I question, already regretting asking when I see the grim look that masks his features. "Murdered the night you were taken." I take a shaky breath and close my eyes, anger building up within me. "Miss Avery, if I understand correctly what exactly you're willing to do to escape your family name, I'm going to need you to accept my terms... You as well Mr Pucey."