Nyctophilia

My twin brother and I are two very different people, we always have been. He's never felt the pull to the darkness that I have, yet he eagerly joined it to appease our Father. I've never felt the need to please Father, I've always been my own person. At the end of the day all we have is who we are, and I will not allow Father to decide that for me. So, I resist the pull I feel towards the darkness and fight for the light. When I first approached the light and asked to join them, they turned me away. They didn't trust me, and I can't say I blame them. I'm a Slytherin. A Malfoy. They said I couldn't fight for the light because of my past... And that's precisely why I did. I'm not the character you're supposed to love, I'm the character you are not supposed to like. I am the kid your parents warned you about... For I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for a second that I am one of them. I believe that light is easy to love, so I look for the darkness in people.

I believe that damaged people are the most dangerous, they know how to make hell feel like home. I know that much for a fact because I've done it my entire life. My life motto is "Come what may, nothing can defeat me. Know thy limits, push past them." I've been fighting for myself since this war began. It sounds selfish, but if I don't fight for me who will? The light won't because of my family name. The darkness won't because I refuse to fall into line. I may be a Slytherin, but I will not follow him just because my Daddy demands it. I am not a sheep, I am a snake. Without cunning, there is no innovation. Without ambition, there is no accomplishment. If I were to become a follower of Voldemort, then I would be giving up my cunning and my ambition to become a sheep in a flock... And I simply cannot do that. Don't let them get to you, Professor Snape had told me when I asked about how to avoid becoming my brother. At first I didn't understand, but now I do. I cannot allow myself to be molded into what he wants.

If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell. I know as sure as the darkness calls to me that if I go into it, I won't be able to return from it. Living in the Manor taught me that the dive into darkness is easier than escaping the insanity that claws to keep you there. My Aunt lost the battle between her head and her heart, and thus lost her mind to the pull of insanity that wraps around the soul of anyone deranged enough to cast an unforgivable. It wasn't Voldemort that showed me monsters are real, that they live inside of us and that they sometimes win the battle... It was my Aunt. Draco and I watched from afar as she became a shell of the woman she used to be. While it scared my brother, the madness called to me like a siren to a sailor. Magic hummed at the thought of joining his ranks and unbridled adrenaline shot through my body everytime Draco and I were forced to watch Auntie torture a Muggle or a Muggleborn. My heart was disgusted by it all, but my head? My head wanted to seek out comfort in familiarity.

Last year, after the return of Voldemort became apparent with the murder of Cedric Diggory I made the final decision regarding the pull to the darkness so desperately building within me. I contacted my estranged Aunt Andromeda and asked her to pass on a message to her daughter, the Auror. I wanted an out, a way to help bring down the creature who so quickly took up residence in my home. My aunt replied to me quickly, informing me of the Order of the Phoenix. It took weeks to get my cousin to convince Alastor Moody to allow me entry into their ranks. In those weeks Draco and I began fighting, and I'd very angrily informed him that if he pushed me away to follow the path Father chose for him then he shouldn't expect me to be waiting for him where he leaves me. My heart is big, but not big enough to deal with people who only love me when it is convenient for them. We spent the rest of summer fighting which leads is to where we are now, preparing to board the train for our fifth year at Hogwarts, neither of us who we were before summer began.

My brother now embraces the darkness because he is told to.

I now deflect the darkness because I know it's wrong.

As I prepare to fight wholly for Harry Potter and the light, I keep one thing in mind.

The light, without shade, will scorch all those who seek it's power.

(So in my last update I created a Gryffindor Hydra Malfoy... In this tester you see her as a Slytherin. Do we like this concept? Is her character better written as a Slytherin than it was a Gryffindor?)