The Evil Within

Warnings: Child abuse, child neglect, blood, injury

Relationship: None

~***~

It's always dark... He thought to himself while he stared at the unmoving ceiling. The only noise he could hear was the telltale sound of a clock that ticked every five seconds, Why does it always have to be dark? Evil lurks in the dark.

He pretended he was asleep when his father opened his bedroom door drunk and loud, "WaKe Up YoU lItTlE sHiT."

Still, he pretended to be asleep, clutching tight onto his blanket in hopes he would leave. He did moments later, seemingly losing interest in the small boy.

The evil that lurks in the dark is scary...

That morning when he woke, he sat on his bedroom floor drawing darkened pictures of his father. He labeled it, The Evil Within then moved on with the day. Cleaning, getting told that he was worthless, then at the end of the day, get beat for not doing a small thing.

In the middle of the night, he laid on his bedroom floor, near unconscious as his father picked him up and started shaking him, "C'mon, wake up! They'll arrest me if you don't wake up! WAKE UP YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

The young boys body didn't respond. Instead, his father dropped him when he heard the multiple shouts of 'Police' in the house...

He escaped.

Gentle hands were on the son, "Start a line. Let's get him looking at us."

Eventually, he had the strength to open his eyes once more. He saw kind, smiling faces in his eyes. Two of which calming and relaxing enough for him to feel calm. His heart wasn't racing, he wasn't hyperventilating, but he was dizzy, hungry even. He heard the people helping him say something about insulin, but he disregarded it being too tired.

He pawed at the person injecting a needle into his arm, but his hand was gently put down. 

While in the ambulance, one of the medics asked him a question, "What's your name?"

He had speech problems, so all he could say was, "G-ian."

The paramedic must have heard the slightest hint of an 'r' in the name, because the next thing he asked was, "Is your name Grian?"

The boy nodded 'yes'. He noted the medic noting something down, then a question he couldn't hear. Grian tilted his head in confusion, then the medic signed to him, Can you spell your name in sign language?

Grian did so without hesitation. The medic showed Grian the picture he had drawn that morning, the medic asked who the dark shadow was.

"Evil monster."

The medic was still confused, so Grian continued, "He hurt me everyday. Refused to help me. I was told by angel that I need insulin."

"Who is angel?" The medic asked, "Is she mum?"

Grian nodded, "She left one day to get groceries, never came back. At least that's what Evil said."

"We'll make sure you get what you need."

When at the hospital, they gave Grian a medical bracelet that had, 'Type 1 Diabetes' on it. They wanted to make sure he wouldn't get the way he did again. After they set him up with everything they needed, an officer walked in.

"I'm office-" He stopped mid sentence, "Grian... Is.. Is he okay?"

"You know this young boy, Officer Void?"

"I've responded to domestic calls there before and would usually see him hiding." Xisuma explained, "I got to know him when I was with another officer on call."

Grian hugged the officer tightly, not letting go, "Sumy!"

Xisuma hugged him back, then picked him up, looking at the bracelet, "Diabetes? He's so young."

"Diabetes can hit at any time, officer." The doctor chuckled, ruffling Grian's hair, "But we called you to take him home. He has no other family, and he was constantly saying, 'Sumy Void' or something like that, so we called you. So? Will you give him a home?"

He smiled, then looked at Grian, "Of coarse. I'm not going to let them put him in the system."

~That Night~

"Papa SumSum?"

Xisuma rolled over to see a tiny Grian standing beside him, "What's up kid?"

"The monster is here... I'm scared..."

Xisuma chuckled, "C'mere... I'll take your fears away."

Grian immediately climbed into Xisuma's bed and cuddled against him. Xisuma didn't care that he called him 'Papa'. He basically was now that he is taking care of Grian. And every day, he would watch as Grian grew and became more active and happy.