𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕪-𝕤𝕚𝕩

eunri

I went to the hospital late today. I hurriedly went to the locker room and placed all my stuff and made sure I look fine. The traffic was so suffocating, and my alarm was off. Great.

I went to the wards I'm assigned for today and apologized to them. After doing my rounds, a nurse called me.
"The new doctor needs you to assist him with scut work."
"What?"
"Scut work."
"S-Scut. Oh gods. Alright, where is he."
"He's in Room 104."
"Okay, thanks."

I walked briskly to 104, getting a little nervous with who the doctor is. But he's doing something other doctors don't want to. I wonder...

I entered the room and immediately bowed.
"Good morning, Doctor. I'm Lee Eunri."
"I know."
I looked up and saw the face of the guy who I haven't heard from for years.
"Haruto..."
"Ohayo~(good morning)" he smiled.
"Y-You're a doctor?"
He giggled.
"Let's talk about personal matters later. Help me with the patient."
"Y-Yes, Doc."

As I much as I hate it, I need to follow Haruto now. He has a higher rank than me. I hate this situation. I hate it  I hate it. I hate it.

I wasn't expecting that he would be a doctor here. I was even surprised that he is a doctor!

"Nurse Lee?"
"Oh yeah right, sorry."

•••

"When.How.Why."
"My mom was hospitalized when we were still in high school. Then there was this really good and calm doctor. He is reassuring as well. He inspired me to be one."

"But..." I was still a little confused. Because-

"Why? Because I was a punk before and a bad boy could never care for someone?" he went closer to me. I got a little nervous.
"N-No. That's not what I meant. I mean, you love music. You're making good ass songs before. But why not pursue it?"
"I wanted to give my family a good life, alright? In music, there's such a small chance I'd succeed. There are so many competent musicians."
"But it's your passion-"
"Yeah, but passion isn't always enough. Perseverance isn't always enough. Sometimes, you gotta think about reality. Being a doctor isn't bad. I'm getting lots of money here. I can properly take care of my sister, too."

Haruto's words left me speechless. I didn't know he could talk deep, figuratively.

"No more questions, mademoiselle?" he relaxed on his chair.
I went silent. I...I don't know if it's okay to ask it.
"Alright. I still have more scut work to do. Let's go." He stood up and started walking away.

"Where were you."

He stopped.
"W-Where were you. I haven't heard from you for so long."

He turned around and I can see a slight pain in his eyes.
"I was busy. I needed to make money to take care of Mom. That explains all my absences from school before."

My heart cracked for a moment. I wonder what Haruto has been through. I saw him break down once. But never did he share anything anymore after that. And now he's here, a successful doctor. I really want to be close with him again and know him more.

But it's too late.

It's not my business anymore.

I'm not someone special to him anymore and so is he to me.

----

congratulations to the graduates!

neol saranghae~