Chapter 15: The Mall

2nd Person POV

You sighed loudly, leaning against the vending machine as Steve stood staring at it. The two of you were 'undercover' and were wearing very casual clothes. You felt only slightly hipster in the outfit you were wearing.

"It was right here." He said quietly. Oh, well what a fucking delight that it was here. You would've preferred if it was here now.

"Steve, before I even ask you why you put it in a vending machine, I'd like to know how you put it in a vending machine." You turned to him with a puzzled expression. He looked back at you like the answer was obvious, but before he could say anything, the sound of a bubble popping behind you both made you both glance at the reflection in the glass.

Natasha stood looking at the vending machine to, and when you turned to look at her she just stared at you like nothing was wrong. Both you and Steve waited for a nearby doctor to walk away before grabbing an arm each and dragging her into a nearby room.

"Hey. Come on, now." She rolled her eyes as you pushed her against a wall. Steve closed the door behind you and pulled down his hood.

"Where is it?" You asked.

"Safe." She answered. Now that just wasn't helpful.

"I'm gonna need you to elaborate a little more." You narrowed your eyes.

"Where did you guys get it?" She questioned.

"Why should we tell you?" Steve walked back over, standing next to you. There was a pause as Natasha put the pieces together.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?" God, the woman had a lot of questions. Then again, so did you and Steve.

"What's on it?" Steve asked. By this point you were all in each other's faces. It was only a little weird.

"I don't know." She responded.

"Would you stop lying." You gently shook her.

"I'm not. I only act like I know everything, (L/N)." Natasha watched you with an expression you couldn't read. You were in half the mind to just try read her mind, but a part of you was saying not to.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve cut in. Natasha paused and looked like she was surprised for a second.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." Natasha said calmly.

"God damn it, Romanoff. Answer the question." You stared into her eyes and debated if you should just compel her instead. Compel, mind read, intimidate. They were all the same thing... kinda. Kinda not. Definitely not.

"I know who killed Fury." She quickly said. You and Steve stopped for a moment, looking at each other to double check you heard the same thing.

"And who might that be?" You asked.

"Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last 50 years." She explained. Two dozen didn't really sound like that much to you. Unless they were big names being killed.

"So he's a ghost story?" Steve asked.

"Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran. Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out. But the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer so he shot him straight through me." Natasha lifted up her shirt to show the scar on her abdomen.