Chapter 26: Peace In Our Time

3rd Person POV

The tower was absolutely packed. Party music played through the speakers above as the guests enjoyed themselves. Most the Avengers were split apart around the place, but some stuck together.

"So I take the tank, fly it right up to the general's palace, drop it at his feet. I'm, like, 'Boom. You looking for this?'" Rhodey grinned, looking between (Y/N) and Thor as he slowly lost his smile. There was an awkward silence as the two just looked back at him, expecting more.

"'Boom. Are you looking for-' Why so I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else, that story kills." Rhodey complained.

"That's the whole story?" (Y/N) asked slowly.

"Yeah... it's a War Machine story." Rhodey mumbled.

"Oh, it's very good, then." Thor quickly said with a short laugh, raising his glass to his mouth to dodge the conversation.

"Quality save." Rhodey muttered, turning to (Y/N) as he lightly sipped the wine in his own glass. Literally nobody else expected him to be a wine guy, even after he had told them in the past that he was.

"How's Raven?" He asked. (Y/N) had introduced the two at one point in the past.  He had been with Raven when he ran into Tony and Rhodey, and they had gotten to know each other.

"Good. I think. I haven't seen her since last month. She's been busy, apparently." (Y/N) shrugged. The two had been back on good terms after news of everything in Washington D.C. He still had no clue why she and Felicia had started hanging out, though. In fact, he only introduced the two once.

"What about Jane? Where are the ladies, gentlemen?" Maria asked, causing (Y/N) to jump slightly as he hadn't seen the woman creep up.

"I'm single. I don't exactly have anyone to bring." (Y/N) narrowed his eyes, making her turn to Thor.

"I'm not even sure what country Jane's in. Her work on the Convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer." Thor nodded with a smile, happy to talk about the woman.

"Yeah. Raven's been doing a lot of work for the NYPD. She's been helping with a lot of cases and has been getting a lot of promotions." (Y/N) said, sipping his drink. Maria glanced to Rhodey with knowing eyes, seeing where this was going.

"There's even talk of Jane getting a, um, Nobel Prize." Thor said, pausing for dramatic effect.

"She's not actually here right now, because she got recruited for some sort of spy mission for the government. They really value her abilities, you know?" (Y/N) hummed.

"Yeah, they must be busy, because they would hate missing you guys get together." Maria smiled at the two before suddenly coughing into her hand. "Testosterone." She blurted out as Rhodey patted her on the back. "Oh, my goodness."

"Want a lozenge?" Rhodey asked as the two walked off. The two men watched them walk away, still wearing happy faces.

"But Jane's better." Thor said quietly as (Y/N) was drinking. He walked off as the other man narrowed his eyes at him.

2nd Person POV

You sat watching Natasha and Bruce talk at the bar, thoroughly enjoying the show they were putting on. Bruce was being awkward as usual and she was being flirty. Once the redhead departed, you stood up and strolled over to the bar.

"That was quite entertaining." You remarked, catching Bruce's attention. He turned to you in confusion.

"What is?" He said, stammering his words as he looked on with curiosity.