Chapter 59: Protection

A/N: Before getting into this chapter, I'd like to thank @LoUsHiT for her art of (Y/N)

I never actually imagined this or any of my stories would ever be big enough to earn fan art, so I'm ecstatic about this

So I'd like to give a big shoutout to her. Thank you very much.

3rd Person POV

"Natasha, I think something is wrong with friend of yours." Melina said, still looking at the bedroom doors that had shut as the man left.

"No. No, there's not. You're the one who's wrong." Natasha said loudly. She was sick of this conversation, and everything (Y/N) just said was true.

Nat's head clicked towards Alexei. "You are an idiot!" Then towards Melina. "And you're a coward." She stated, whispering it again for good measure. "And our family was never real, so there's nothing to hold on to."

"Never family, huh?" Alexei questioned. "In my heart, I am simple man. And I think for a couple deep undercover Russian agents I think we did pretty great as parents, huh?"

"Yes, we had our orders, and we played our roles to perfection." Melina added.

"So what? It was all a lie. None of it was real." Natasha shook her head.

"What?" Yelena looked at her as if she misheard.

"That wasn't real. Who cares?" Natasha repeated herself.

"Don't say that." Yelena's voice quivered slightly. "Please don't say that. It was real. It was real to me." She looked to Melina. "You are my mother. You were my real mother. The closest thing I ever had to one."

Natasha's eyes dampened as she watched things fall apart.

"The best part of my life was fake. And none of you told me." Yelena exhaled as she was on the verge of tears. She lightly banged her hand against the table. "And those agents you helped chemically subjugate?" She again turned to Melina who was avoiding eye contact. "That was me."

She paused, glancing over at Natasha. "And you, you got out. Dreykov made sure no one could escape. Are you gonna say anything?" She questioned, but Natasha just stayed silent and looked down. "No."

Melina extended an arm, trying to comfort Yelena who just swatted her away. "Don't touch me."

She stood up, grabbing the bottle of vodka further down the table as she did. She pushed her chair away and walked off, ignoring her name being called as she went to the nearest place to be away from them.

(Y/N) sat atop the bed, holding his necklace in his hand and running a thumb over the black onyx gemstone. What he'd give for the chance to hear his mother's voice again... To hear his father play his guitar.