Chapter 109: Give Me The Shield

In the wake of what he had done; murder in front of so many civilian eyes. In front of the entire world. All John could do was run. Run, run, run.

Lemar was dead... How did things come to this? He ducked down into a warehouse after following the train tracks for a while. His breath was ragged and he drowned in the swarm of thoughts that bombarded him.

Why didn't he just listen to Lemar? This was his fault. "Why!" He yelled out into the empty building. He fell to his knees, blood staining his fingers as it did the shield he held. He just wanted to cry, yet his confusion and frustration coaxed him into an unbearable silence.

"I didn't think he had it in him." (Y/N) whispered, watching the man from afar. He was for once taken aback when he watched Walker snap. Bucky was certainly right about him being crazy. Then again, he'd be lying if he wasn't simply looking at a broken man.

John's head lifted when he noticed the presence of (Y/N), Sam and Bucky. He seemingly pulled himself together, standing up while mumbling, "Time to go to work."

He walked towards them looking care free, only increasing their nervousness.

"Walker..." Sam spoke his name sternly yet with underlying worry.

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good." John said in regards to the cuts Bucky had and the roughed up appearance of Sam. (Y/N) had little more than a few scratches.

"We're going really off topic as if you didn't just..." (Y/N) squinted at the man, trying to read him through body language.

"You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!" John began raising his voice as his erratic behaviour resurfaced.

"He didn't kill Lemar, John." (Y/N) shook his head.

"Nor does that give you the right to kill the guy." Sam added. John huffed, spinning around and looking away for a second.

"Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well." Bucky said, looking at the man with slight unease.

"I'm not like you." Walker growled. Bucky shut his eyes, going quiet.

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record." Sam attempted to try and fix some of this mess. But in the end, it wasn't like Walker was going to be getting out of any trouble. "We don't want anyone else to get hurt."

John paused in thought. Yeah... yeah, Sam was right. Maybe he could pull things back together. Just maybe.

"You gotta give me the shield, man." Sam slipped in. That was an obvious mistake when John's head lifted up to look him in the eyes, flicking back and forth between the three.

"Oh..." His voice came out low. "So that's what this is. You almost got me."

"You did something stupid. Been there, done that. Now make the right decision." (Y/N)'s foot inches forward as if he was about to take a stance.

"You don't wanna do this." John whispered.

"Yeah, we do." Bucky replied. Walker narrowed his eyes before reacting, swinging the shield towards Bucky who blocked it with his metal arm. He ducked a punch from Sam before kicking him away.

(Y/N)'s knee collided with his jaw, bringing him to his feet where he managed to catch the next kick and push the man back. John shoved his weapon against Bucky, dropping his guard to then elbow the man in the face and hit him to the floor.

As he reeled back again to hit Barnes, his leg slashed open and made him gasp. (Y/N) reeled back his hand, generating another black knife in his hand before throwing it again. This time, Walker blocked it with the shield, making the weapon disperse into smoke and cloud his vision.