Chapter 66: Targeted

3rd Person POV

(Y/N) and Yelena sat across from each other inside a cafe. The two ever so slowly drinking their drinks while holding eye contact, which would've made anyone else looking very confused.

The two continued to stare up until they had placed their drinks back down and Yelena came to the sudden realisation that she indeed didn't like Mocha. She closed her eyes to go along with a small sigh, resting her hand over her lips.

"I get this funny feeling you mistook that for hot chocolate." (Y/N) remarked, causing her to very steadily turn back to glare at him. He hummed in amusement sliding her his own drink.

"Жопа." She growled at him before taking the drink he passed her and examining it.

"Это латте, а не яд." He responded with a roll of his eyes. Yelena tutted before sipping the drink. She then held the cup in her hand, pausing to debate if she actually liked it.

"I wouldn't say it's good, but it's better than that shit." She motioned to the other mug as she passed the drink back.

"You're crazy if you don't like vanilla latte." (Y/N) huffed, drinking the coffee and trying to understand her view. Although, he absolutely hated the taste of anything with coffee until he hit about 15.

"I like tea." Yelena said, combing her hair out of her face. (Y/N) immediately tilted his head as his mind began to fall into a pocket of humour.

"Aww. You can't handle the taste of coffee so you drink that?" (Y/N) smiled at her as he exaggerated his words. The woman was about to make a response but he reached his arm forward and gently booped her nose a few times while repeating the words, "Little baby. Lil' baby."

"Little baby can't drink coffee." He mocked, making her slap his hand away and narrow her eyes in fury.

"Ты такая сука." She growled.

"I'm kidding. Jeez... I'm just saying it's cute how you can't tolerate it." He clarified with a chuckle. There was immediate silence as Yelena looked down at the table rather than towards (Y/N).

"You're... cute, too." She said in a mumble, not registering the embarrassment until a few seconds later. (Y/N) tilted his head at her.

"That's not the compliment I was looking for or expecting. But I'll take it." He made a slight shrug of acceptance. The two went quiet again. Beneath the natural expression on (Y/N)'s face, he was feeling the effects of the awkward tension, too.

"Did you even plan on celebrating your birthday?" Yelena eventually asked, resting against her hand and looking over at him again.

"No, not really. It seems like unnecessary hassle compared to just living the day like any other." He answered. Not just that, he had practically nothing he would ever want as a gift. What do you get someone who wants nothing? Nothing.

"That sounds like an excuse for being lazy." She said. Now, she wasn't exactly wrong. (Y/N) smirked at her comment, resting his arms on the table. The two were quiet for a few seconds before (Y/N) became curious on something.

"When's your birthday?" He tilted his head.

"No idea." Yelena tapped her nails against the table, locking her eyes on his. "My documents were burned when I entered the Red Room. Though I did reconstruct them. I decided July since it's warm. 13th since it's a lucky number."

"So original." (Y/N) hummed. The woman escalated into a sad pout.

"Hey..." She whined. (Y/N) chortled, only causing her to glare at him.