Chapter 123: Why?

"Tracking something, huh? Just what is this 'something', dear Barton?" (Y/N) hummed from beside the man, peering over at the apartment complex in front of them. They had taken to scouting from the roof of another building, Clint holding a pair of binoculars while Kate nagged him to let her see.

Eventually caving in and handing the binoculars over, Clint huffed and glanced to (Y/N). "It belongs to someone. Someone important to me." He answered, careful not to say anything too vital in such an open space. (Y/N) wanted to pry, but he let it go, knowing the same thing.

"Couldn't we have found a higher rooftop?" Kate complained, struggling to see very much from where they were.

"We want a quick exit, not a quick entrance." Clint said. It didn't matter how long it took to get in there, but if it took too long getting out, they were vulnerable.

"Why not both?" (Y/N) said in a high, sassy voice.

"Hey. Good point. Can't you teleport?" Kate lowered the binoculars and stared at him like he was Jesus himself.

(Y/N) snapped his fingers in response. "Exactly, Katie! This old man is thinking of things from a far too human point of view when he's got a shadow god at his side. Huh? Huh?" As he finished his dry speech, he began nudging Clint with his arm, earning a less than pleased response from Barton.

"You wanna take this one, be my guest." Clint said simply, patting his arm and daring him to go ahead. At least he trusted (Y/N) to get the job done. He wasn't so sure Kate wouldn't get distracted and lose the watch if she found it.

"Wait, what? No. Give me a chance, too! Let me go with you." Kate turned to (Y/N) a pleading look in her eyes. The man just looked back at her with bemusement. He didn't understand why she was so determined to earn their respect through this kinda stuff. Maybe it was because Clint was her idol. Maybe she just wanted to show off since they were both Avengers.

But, he took a small moment of thought, the silence of which was filled by Clint trying to talk Kate out of the idea.

"No. I need you up here with me. If you go in, you'll just get in the way. (Y/N) can get in and out quicker than either of us-"

"Let her come. It's fine." (Y/N)'s interruption left Clint baffled. He wasn't sure he was hearing him right. He wanted Kate to come with him? Was he even talking to the real (Y/N)? Kate looked just as surprised, but felt excited underneath that.

(Y/N) noticed his expression, snorting at his reaction. "Relax. I won't let her slow me down. She could do with the work experience." He waved a hand carelessly, offering the other out to Kate.

"I... I'm just gonna..." Clint reached out, feeling (Y/N)'s forehead a little before retracting back with a sharp whistle. "No fever. Must be an emotional breakdown." He joked, taking the binoculars off Kate as he went back to scanning the apartment.

"Oh, my god. Are you gonna...?" Kate almost eeked with excitement as she took (Y/N)'s hand, met by the cold swirl of black smog. The man just shook his head with a slight amusement as he disappeared along with Kate in the dark fog.

When they re-materialised, they were stood outside the apartment door. Kate was left with her mouth open as she contained herself. She so wanted to do that again.

"How we looking?" (Y/N) questioned into his comms.

"We're good." Clint answered.

(Y/N) looked from the door to Kate, motioning for her to go ahead. The girl nodded, slowly moving forward and grabbing the doorknob. It rattled a few times before the door clicked open. Kate pushed it wide with a long creak, met by darkness as the apartment had no lights on. To light the way, Kate used the flashlight on her bow, only for (Y/N) to slap a hand over it.