Chapter 125: Missing You

ON THIS SITE IN 2012
DURING THE BATTLE OF NEW YORK,
THE AVENGERS FIRST ASSEMBLED.
STEVE ROGERS
TONY STARK
(Y/N) (L/N)
BRUCE BANNER
NATASHA ROMANOFF
CLINT BARTON

(Y/N) read the memorial with reminiscence. He ran his fingers along the name of Steve, fist clenching halfway through. "Could really use your advice right now, Steve." He said dejectedly. The world around him was loud, no surprise considering it was New York. Still, he did his best to block it out. "That was always our duality. You had the cool-head and the thoughtfulness, while I had the hot-head and the recklessness."

He sighed and sat down on the street, crossing his legs. His eyes wandered down to Tony next. "And as much as I fucking hated you, you made this place feel more comfortable. I knew you could get shit done when you needed to." (Y/N) adjusted his shirt, taking a breath before looking to Natasha's name last.

He bit his tongue, looking around as he thought what to say. "I don't know what to do, Nat. She's stubborn, just like you. I think that's why I got along with you both." He smiled softly. "I thought everything would be fine once everyone came back. That might be the most naive thing I've ever thought."

(Y/N) looked into the ground, shaking his head. "I know where I want to go, I just don't know how to get there. She loved you, man. We all did." He paused. "If you were here, you'd knock some sense into both of us. You were stubborn; always had to win. We had that in common."

"I always thought I was a god. These powers were always something I flaunted because I had to be better than any normal person. You were the only one who could knock me down a peg and remind me what it means to be human."

With one last sigh, (Y/N) smiled up at her name in memory. "I just wanna say I miss you. And if things go sideways... just know I'll see you soon." He stood up, walking off into the flock of New Yorkers around him. He was going to fix this. It was time to step forward.

"Clint." (Y/N)'s voice went ignored by Barton, whom was stood in front of him on a rooftop. He was looking down on a car park, eyes locked onto the only visible figure, which was none other than Maya Lopez. "She's not alone down there."

"I know." Clint responded. He was donning his ronin outfit, which made (Y/N) rather curious. Clint read his interest without needing to look at him. "If I can make amends with her, I can get the tracksuits off our backs."

"And just how do you intend to make amends with someone who clearly wants Ronin dead?" (Y/N) questioned, crossing his arms.

"Just deal with the strays." Clint said sharply and hopped off the roof, beginning to skulk through the parked cars. (Y/N) stared at him the entire time, finally lifting his hands up in a confused shrug.

"Right. Good chat, Barton." He muttered but did as he was told.

Down on the ground, Maya furrowed her brows as a black fog seeped across the floor, covering her feet to her ankles. She looked around with further confusion, searching for the epicentre of the mist. It didn't take a genius to guess who had summoned it.

On a nearby roof, Kazi watched over Maya with a sniper, furrowing his brows at the darkness on the ground, too. "The hell...?" He murmured, only to flinch as two black chains caught around his neck.

Before he could exclaim a warning to the others, he was tugged backwards through the air. (Y/N) pulled down on the chains, smashing Kazi down onto the hard rooftop and knocking him out. "No hard feelings. I like your signing." (Y/N) patted the back of the unconscious man before quickly diving back into the shadows.