Chapter 106

3rd POV

While the Astaroth vs Agares rating game was still taking place, the adults of the world, the human world that is, had important business to discuss. Sirzechs along with Azazel and Michael have long returned to Odin's side to continue enjoying the event, seeing as how their negotiation with the eldest Creed weren't as fruitful as they had hoped. That's not to say all bridges were burned, just that it wasn't the instant agreement they hoped for. Then again, that was their mistake to assume the eldest of the family to be on the same page as them.

The concern was over the parents of the aforementioned teen, the father in particular, as he had received a peculiar phone call, all the way back from Tokyo. It's been a few months since the brothers had a private conversation after all.

"It's not like you to call me regarding the company, Stephen. In fact, it's not like you to call me first regardless. So what's this all of a sudden?", Alexander Mercer sank into his sit, perhaps expecting the worse.

"Well, I would have visited, but it was brought to my attention you apparently left Kuoh as well, with nobody knowing your current physical location. Can you blame me? Besides, the least you could do is respond since I've given you so much about the kings.", his brother retorted

But can one blame Alex either? He can't exactly divulge to his sibling he currently resides in literal hell, can he?

"Brought to your attention? Hadrian called? Or was it Lara-"

"I don't think that matters right now, Alex. You're the most important person for this company and yet you go missing. I too share you view that the board cares too much about your day to day life, but in this instant I'm forced to agree with them."

Stephen and Alex may not be as close to each other as, let's say, Bruce and Desmond, but they're siblings nonetheless.

"Sigh. I'll come back in a few days regardless. That should satisfy their curiosity plenty. Is that all you called for?", the older Mercer inquired further.

"That wasn't even the main reason I called."

"Then get to the point. Or else you can talk the details with Scarlett."

"How about no.", it's not that Stephen doesn't like Scarlett, it's just that she's the type of woman that would freely accept losses for the company if it came at the expense of her husband's happiness. In other words, as a businessman, Scarlett is Stephen's polar opposite, hence why agreements are virtually impossible to reach. Now you get why she's the lady of iron? "It's regarding our mother-...my mother's birthday."

"She may not have given birth to me, Stephen, but she did raise me.", Alex was quick to fire a comment.

"I'm sorry. I assumed, since your sons don't see her as grandmother, that you'd be on the same page as them.", it wouldn't come as a shock either.

"My children have...special circumstances, so I can't blame them for who they choose to acknowledge as family. But even as their father, I don't agree with them on all matters. Now enough beating around the bush.", the man was getting tired of circling around the main issue.

"Very well then. Since various people are becoming restless regarding the matter, and seeing as how your eldest is in his last year of highschool, I think it's about time we had a proper family reunion, Alex. Mainly, of course, to celebrate Mom's birthday, but secondly, to decided the future of this whole business."

The were a slight pose immediately after, as Alex and Scarlett shared a glace with each other, before continuing.

"I'm assuming the board would like Edward to take my place in the future, am I right?"